Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie asks : lossy and lossless?

Default Newbie asks : lossy and lossless?

I am new to movies and movie editing, and need a few pointers. My cameras take movies in AVI format (One is a sony point and shoot, the other a MiniDV camcorder) I also have old family videos that I am transferring to the computer using a Canopus device. I am very confused about loss and losslessness, when it happens and what I should be doing about it. Once the video has been uploaded to my computer, does it lose detail every time I view it? If the file is burned to a DVD - does that lose detail in the burning or when it is viewed? Does it lose detail during editing? During the end process when the movie is rendered into a certain format? (Am I even using the word "render" correctly?) How can I save my movies from losing details? Thanks a lot - I have tried to read about this but it isn't making sense to me in terms of movies.

Hi Vallan,

Lossless video means that none of the pixels or the audio track are changed at all, so you get highest quality but at a high file size. With Lossy compression, the codec will alter the video contents slightly to allow for lower file sizes (that's a very very loose description, but the quickest way I can think of).

Just viewing lossy videos won't degrade the quality, but editing it will reduce it somewhat. To be honest, unless you're editing your source footage, then re-editing the edited version, then re-editing the re-edited version, you probably won't notice any difference in standard DV footage.

Burning to DVD will techincally reduce quality, because the bitrate of DVDs is lower than the bitrate of miniDV.

Personally, I wouldn't re-edit my footage more than once; there's not usually any need to.

As with a lot of things, the best thing to do is experiment.

Default reediting and loss

HI Mike,

Thanks for repying. When you say "re-edit' do you mean finalizing the movie and exporting it into some format? I'm sorry, I don't know if my terms are right here, but is there a particular format (codec?) that I should use to minimize loss of quality? (Esp. when burning the movie to a DVD?) If I leave it uncompressed (AVI?) will that help?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vallan View Post
    HI Mike,

Thanks for repying. When you say "re-edit' do you mean finalizing the movie and exporting it into some format? I'm sorry, I don't know if my terms are right here, but is there a particular format (codec?) that I should use to minimize loss of quality? (Esp. when burning the movie to a DVD?) If I leave it uncompressed (AVI?) will that help?

Thanks!
    I think by re-edit Mike means cuttiing out parts, etc. etc.. Finalizing your movie is rendering.

If you are burning to DVD you have no choice but to use Mpeg-2 or it won't play (or DivX if your DVD payer supports it). They are both lossy codecs. I don't see much point in using lossless codecs for video because lossless codecs don't really reduce file size.

I don't eaven know if there are any lossless codecs for video? Is there?
    Last edited by Flickson; 02-02-2009 at 03:07 PM.

I'm sorry, I'm not to swift on the terminology. What I meant was: When you say re-edit, do you mean that you edit it once, render it and then go back to that rendering and edit it again? Or do you mean the number of times you "play with it" in Adobe? What would be the best way to preserve the highest quality if I wasn't going to put it on DVD, but instead store it as a computer file? (No worries as to space).

Editing really means anything you do to your raw footage. Anything! It's starts when you take it off your camera. Looking back i suppose Mike means re-editing and re-rendering. When you edit or "play with your footage" in Adobe, it does not alter the original in anyway. What you really see on the timeline is a graphical representation of what it's going to do to your movie when it renders it. When it renders it's going to go to all your clips and do to them what you have done to them and the timeline, and then render your movie to a seperate file and leave your originals completely intact.

if space isn't a concern, the best way to keep your footage is uncompressed. But sooner or later you'll have to encode it for DVD if that's your end. Actually i think the canopus might be direct to mpeg capture.
    Last edited by Flickson; 02-02-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Ok, I think I understand a little better now - thank you everyone for your help and patience!

Val

If you have any questions the author of the post is a Moderator, George, and there is at least one other Moderator, Bobby, that use the beat detect on a regular basis. I'm sure they would be able to help if you run into problems.
    http://muvipix.com Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Engels View Post
    If you have any questions the author of the post is a Moderator, George, and there is at least one other Moderator, Bobby, that use the beat detect on a regular basis. I'm sure they would be able to help if you run into problems.
    Did you mean to post that on this thread (or even ths website?!)

Blog Entries

I am Bobby at the weekends - but thats Bobbie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast