Thread: Ideas for training videos

Default Ideas for training videos

Hey guys,

Firstly, awesome forum... long time reader, first time poster.

Now, onto my dilema...

I was trying to come up with a little "self project" for myself, and in doing so I came up with training videos. To better assist agents that have to learn to use various tools from a customer service standpoint.

I am a trainer for a product, and our agents use like 8-9 different tools. I have obtained some screen capture software so that I can recreate the screens and display it as video, so as to better train them on it.

I would like to try to insert a "virtual trainer" into the video though. Like a person walking on screen and pointing out various things and talking.

Maybe im goign about this the wrong way, but in doing my research, I have seem to have hit a wall. I can not seem to find a way to insert this "virtual trainer".

Any ideas or suggestions? Appreciate the help.
    Last edited by Mgirona; 01-29-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm guessing your virtual trainer is either some animated person/graphic (like the MS Paperclip that was sooo popular ) or a real-life filmed person.

Either way the principle is the same - you need a subject filmed (or animated) against a single colour***. You then "key out" (ie make invisible) this colour when you overlay it over your video of the PC screen.

There are loads of tutorials about how to do this. Search for "green screen", "blue screen", "chroma key".

*** actually in the case of animation, you may well be able to create a transparent background (search "alpha channel").
    Tim

Awesome. I found some youtube videos that should help.

Not something I've done personaly, but doesnt seem to complicated. Thankfully I have some experience with After Effects, and that seems to be the way to go.

Just extra info, I planned on hte trainer being a person, not a graphic.

Thanks a lot, it doesnt seem like too difficult of a process... just very time consuming.

Anybody have experience with green screens? easy, hard, once you've done it once or twice its easy?

Blog Entries

Please search the forums for "green screen". There are plenty of resources here for green screening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mgirona View Post
    Thanks a lot, it doesnt seem like too difficult of a process...
    I haven't tried it myself, but apparently, whilst the editing side in principle is straightforward, a lot of skill is required to get the lighting right in order to get a good "key". The skill lies in getting the green as flat and consistent as possible with none of it reflected onto the talent.
    Tim

Blog Entries

As Tims says it can be a fiddle.
    I suggest you get some real green screen cloth as I have found this is much better than random cloth.
    To get a person full length can be a challenge - head and torso I have found much easier.

Best to set up - shoot a bit - bung in editor and check if screening works ok.

use animation, definitely