Thread: Artifacts on DVD

Default Artifacts on DVD

Good morning guys,
    I have a question if I can please:-
    Iím after the best settings for exporting - saving a video from premier pro to encore that removes artifacting.
    Basically I went out and bought myself a HVR HD 1000 1080i camcorder, (We will get to the review in a bit) and after a 30 second trial recording I imported it into Prem Pro CS3 as normal and removed frame blending.
    I exported (saved ) the file as an avi without compression, i then imported it into Adobe Encore CS3 and created a DVD with just that file to see how it looks on my LCD TV.
    The video plays fine and the image is ok (Again we shall get onto the review in another post) but on the medium speed pan left, i am getting artifacting (Lines that apear on sharp edges like doors or windows).
    Can anyone who has had a similar problem let me know what settings they used when exporting from Premier Pro please?
    Setup: -
    Premier Pro CS3 (Full and legal copy, unlike some people)
    Quad core 6600 CPU
    2 Gig ram
    22" HP LCD <4ms response
    8800GT GPU (PCI Express)
    Ill post a review of the camcorder once i get the damn thing to export without artifacts.
    Cheers all.
    Mitch

Can you post a screen grab so we can have a look at it?

Ok i finally found out what it was...

It took me until about 1 hr ago and after rendering out onto 3 different DVD's different types of render.

Basically im an idiot and at each stage of the remnder i normally check "de-interlace, however on the first DVD i unchecked frame blend but not de-interlace, then on the dvd render in encore i again did not check that de-interlace was checked.

Rule number 14 - Check, check then check again.

Mitch's new rule in DVD production - Always de-interlace and remove frame blending, then make sure that field's are set to "None, progressive". Ill get a few screen grabs and post them up.

I also found out that the best render output from Prem Pro via Media Encoder gives a huge file, but doesnt give you any real noticable improvement in quality. The settings that i found best for me were =

Microsoft AVI with Frame blending off and field options to always deinterlace.

Ill grab some sleep then screen grab in the morning.

Cheers all.

Mitch

Default Fixed it.

Ok attached should be a screenshot of two pics.

They are the same frame, the one on the left is -
    De-interlaced
    Frame blending off

The one on the right is -
    Frame blending on
    Interlaced

The video was taken on a HDV 1000E which is 1080i and after reading the manual it does say that i should "NOT" deinterlace in an NLE (Prem Pro for me) as this will change the filed dominance!! Obviously this is a load of **** as de-interlaced should give the best results.

Let me know if you need me to upload to my server.

Mitch

1000E review coming soon - Very soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have never used Media Encoder, I just use the plain old fashioned Export to DVD and that has worked 100% for me in the past (having too many variables to change does my head in). I have always de-interlaced my videos (standard definition) and the choice of upper or lower frame dominance disappears as you say and you are left with progressive. That 1000E is that the Sony shoulder mount, I still want to use tape and was maybe thinking about purchasing it as a second cam, so I would be very interested to hear your review. I used two Sony's last year and I wasn't that impressed with the image quality. It was sharp enough but it looked like half the colour had been taken out. I would describe the pictures as lack lustre, flat and not as vibrant as compared to Panasonics and JVC's where the colour level jumps off the screen and hits you over the head.

Yup. Definitely interlacing.