Thread: Premiere Pro or matrox?

Default Premiere Pro or matrox?

Hi I am new here and firstly would like to say what a great site!

I am looking to upgrade my 1.3GHZ comp to a 3.2GHZ. At the moment I use Premiere 6. 0 with Matrox RT2000. However I recently obtained Premiere Pro and now have this slight problem. In my new comp I would like to have Premiere 6 and Matrox AND premiere Pro. I have been told that this cannot be done as matrox will "annoy" prem pro. It seems to me that i have to ake a decision about what system i keep. I like te new features on prem pro but i still think that prem 6 is easier and quicker when editing.

Would I be better to stick to my existing system (prem 6 with rt2000) with a fast machine or scrap that and just use prem pro? (Although i really would like to have both!)

Is it possible to split a computer using hardware profiles that disabels DRIVERS instead of hardware? I would be greatful for any advice on this topic.

Thanks
    Nick

Blog Entries

If you want to keep both, all you have to do is partition you HDD and install multiple instances of your OS. You can then boot into the seperare OS accordingly when wanting to try out each application to compare.

As for Premiere 6 being faster than Pro. Well, in my opinion the user interface for Pro is significantly enhanced and allows for increased efficiency. Added to that realtime previews without the need for dedicated hardwrare on a fast machine, plus all the other benefits of the upgrade and I'd suggest using Pro on your new machine.

OK thanks very much. Maybe I just aint use to the new interface in pro. What would I do for analogue capture without speding much money?

Nick

As the proud owner of Matrox RTX100 I know I would now found it VERY hard to step away from its capabilities yet I also wouldn't want to step back from using Premiere Pro either. Quite a dillema you have there.

My advice, if you can afford it, would be to upgrade your RT200 for an RTX100 or maybe even the RTX10 (if they have similar upgrade deals to that card). You already have Premiere Pro so would not really need the s/w package that came with it. There is a h/w only upgrad option on the Matrox site.

But (and moving back to the "Aliens" theme again ) there's a substantial doallar value associated with doing that though.

I found out that you can buy the rtx100 hardware alone for just over 400. Not bad considering what it can do! However I am still happy with RT2000 and really dont want to loose its realtime DVE effects. Maybe I should step away from it though and try out pro for abit instead.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Nick