Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you set me on the right track

Default Can you set me on the right track

Hi

I'm a new guy and I realise you geniuses get loads of us every month so please be patient with me

I want to make a short How To video that will be put onto a dvd, our website and maybe that utube thingy. (this is not a fool around but serious)

I have a home video camera which uses tape and all the bits to transfer onto my computer.

What I want to do is probably quite straight forward for you guys :

No sound.........black screen into description of clip.........fade into clip............fade out to description............. and so forth

What piece of software wizardry do I need to do this given that I am not a genius.

Your help appreciated

Tiler

A How To Video about what?

its about tiling floors and walls

Something like this :

http:
    //uk.
    youtube.com/watch?v=Z-w4jowjeP0

Do you have an outline of what you want to get across in your video? It can be a list of bullet points at one end of the spectrum or a fully scripted and storyboarded production at the other end. Firstly forget about all the fading in and out, you can do it at the start and end if you want to but not every couple of seconds. A voice over describing what is happening onscreen will work much better. You can download trial versions of Adobe Premiere Pro or Elements or Sony Vegas and try them out for 30 days and see which one you like best and which one works on your computer setup. Maybe a 30 day trial version is all you need and you could do your entire video in that time. So get your ideas together, no rambling on and on, get to the point show it and then move on and forget about the fading in and out.

So I need to be technical rather than straight forward, I thought it might be too basic a request for here.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiler View Post

What piece of software wizardry do I need to do this given that I am not a genius.
    Answering that specific question - if you're in Windows, Windows Movie Maker will do this (at least make the video though I think you'll need something else - eg Nero - to burn a DVD from it). I'm guessing if you're Mac based, iMovie will do it.

So, no cost!
    Tim

Blog Entries

Yes, imovie will cope with that easily. It's only if you want a lot of effects, or unusual stuff that you need to get a "decent" editing software. The free stuff with Mac and Windows is more than adequate for most basic productions.

If you're serious about your project then remember that the more effort you put into the pre-production (the preparation), the easier the shoot will go and.... The more effort you put into the shoot, the easier the edit will go. So if you plan your shoot well and treat the recording session seriously, the edit will be a piece of p... cake.

In other words...

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    So get your ideas together, no rambling on and on, get to the point show it and then move on...

Wink simple editing software

Hi Tiler

First, good luck on your video project!

The editing tasks you describe are very basic. ANY video editing program can do those things. So I suggest going with whatever you can get for free and stick with a simple program.

If you are new to video, a complex video editing program will drive you insane. and since you do not need all that stuff, there is no reason to mess with it.

The biggest difference between a simple program, like windows movie maker, and something more complex is the ability to control (or not) every little aspect of how it looks. For example, on WMM, you can add any one of about 40 transitions between shots. All of them will be one-second effects. In a more complex program, you could add those same transitions but you could make them either one second or two seconds or half a second. On adding titles, WMM will give you a few choices with templates and nothing about the template is alterable. But in a more complex program, you make your own titles and you have total control over everything, the position of the drop shadow, the color of the drop shadow, the transparency of the drop shadow, etc.

But when it comes to basic editing, putting one shot after another after another after another, simple and complex programs function pretty much the same.

I hoope this answers your question. My blog, Video Production Tips has hundreds of articles about all aspects of video production and might help you out.

good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast