Thread: [UK] Exporting 16:9 footage in 16:9 and not 4:3 in CS4

Question [UK] Exporting 16:9 footage in 16:9 and not 4:3 in CS4

I have some footage recorded in 16:9 by my digital video camera.

I have set the Premiere Pro CS4 project settings to DV PAL Widescreen and when editing, everything previews in widescreen (within the 'source' and 'program' tiles) correctly.

When I choose to export the footage however, I select 16:9 but the outputted video is always in 4:3.

One thing I've noticed is that whenever Premiere Pro mentions 'widescreen', it always shows '720x576' next to it, which is 4:3, not 16:9.

Any ideas?

What format are the source files? Where are you viewing the resulting exported files, on a computer or a DVD player?
    http://muvipix.com Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

By the way, 720 x 576 can be 16:9 or 4:3 it is the pixel aspect ratio that changes, square pixels vs non-square pixels The only thing that will change as far as the resolution goes is if you want to export a frame to Photoshop, that may be a different story.
    http://muvipix.com Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Engels View Post
    What format are the source files? Where are you viewing the resulting exported files, on a computer or a DVD player?
    The source files were imported from a compact digital video camera (miniDV) using Premiere Pro CS4 (DV AVI - PAL Widescreen).

I've tried to view the exported files in KMPlayer, WMP etc. The rendered vide can be stretched, but it's not the ideal solution. I'd rather fix it from the source.

What model camera, they are not all 'true' 16:9 widescreen you know, some use 'fake' widescreen. That is the only reason I could see for it not looking correct as long as you captured with Premiere and it is MiniDV connected via Firewire.

You can also try the Interpret Footage function and see if that fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Engels View Post
    What model camera, they are not all 'true' 16:9 widescreen you know, some use 'fake' widescreen. That is the only reason I could see for it not looking correct as long as you captured with Premiere and it is MiniDV connected via Firewire.

You can also try the Interpret Footage function and see if that fixes it.
    It's a Canon MD101 and I captured it via. FireWire.

The 'Interpret Footage' function is already defaulting to 'Widescreen'.

Are you sure you captured this into a Widescreen Project? There shouldn't be any problems with this like you are saying, it has to be in a setting somewhere. What format are you exporting as and are you sure it is set for 16:9 aspect ratio? Try just exporting an AVI file and see what that looks like.