Thread: Problem with my capture card

Default Problem with my capture card

I recently bought a Belkin capture card for my Sony DCR camcorder.The card has 2 USB 2.0 slots and 2 Firewire.It came with it's own transfer cable and an installation disk.The problems begin when I try to capture what I recorded on tape.When I connect the camera to my PC it detects it and asks what program should it use to make the capture but when I open the capture window in ANY video editing program the camera disconnects.I got a PC and it's a little old.I think it has 4 years with minor upgrades made in time.I took the camera at school , along with the Firewire cable and connected it to a MAC .It worked very well.I reinstalled my OS (Windows XP SP3) and tried a bunch of other codec packs.The problem persists. Any idea what could it be?Thx!

Isn't that a hardisk camera?? Because if it is you don't actually capture from them. You transfer the files to your computer's hardisk. Drag and drop!

No it records on miniDV.Yesterday, I put my card on a friend's computer and it worked fine.Could I have compatibility issues between my version of Windows and the capture card?

Quote Originally Posted by Clowdiu View Post
    No it records on miniDV.Yesterday, I put my card on a friend's computer and it worked fine.Could I have compatibility issues between my version of Windows and the capture card?
    Okay - it's miniDV then. When you used the installation disk, did it specifically say Vista/XP? Have you tried USB & firewire? Does it do the same?

If you are familiar with device manager, after the camera connects (and before you open a capture app) go into the device manager, find your camera and see what it tells you about the state of your driver. if all's good, then open your capture app and if your camera disconnects check your device manager again and see what it says. let me know. Also try using the device manager to update the driver. It will search for the latest XP driver (use search automatically).

My camera did not came with an installation disk .The only disk I got was the driver disk for the capture card.But the only thing I can practically install with that disk is the two USB ports and nothing else.However, today I went to that friend again for the last 30 seconds of my project and guess what?!THE THING stopped working.Now we have the same problem AGAIN.I don't know what could cause this.It's strange that first time worked perfectly and suddenly started doing the same thing as before.It disconnects the camera just as I open the capture application.I will try what you suggested and see what happens.