Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EX1 hints and tips.

Blog Entries

Default EX1 hints and tips.

Since this camera has sold well to autuers and videographers a section for specific ex1 questions and information may ( or may not ) be a usefull faclility for forum members.

It'll stay sticky if it proves to be valued.

Default EX1 sticky sounds good.

Sounds like a good idea Mark.

I've had my EX1 since January 2008, so i know a fair bit about the camera and it's workflow (i'm a sony vegas user).
    I'm using the camera with the latest firmware which allows the use of very cheap memory cards.
    If anyone has any questions the fire away.

Paul.

Blog Entries

Can you say more on cheap cards? - I recall a few ex1 users understandably moaning about the cost of media.

The EX1 and EX3 uses sony sxs cards, hugely expensive, last time i looked over 500 for a 16gb, however now with a firmware upgrade to the EX1 or a brand new EX1 and EX3 (which should have the latest firmware) it's possible to use cheaper cards with an adaptor, basically fooling the camera.

What's needed apart from the firmware upgrade is one of these adaptors

blahdvd.com: PC - Card Readers - Kensington 7-in-1 Media Reader for ExpressCard slot - Card reader - 7 in 1 ( MS, MS PRO, MMC, SD, xD ) - ExpressCard

or one of these adaptors

E-Films

These can be used with an sdhc card, i use the transcend class 6 cards.

The transcend cards are also very cheap

16GB Transcend SDHC Class 6 SD Card Memory For Casio on eBay, also, Digital Camera Memory Cards, Photography (end time 26-Jan-09 20:00:00 GMT)

These are the ones i use, bought from this place.

Put the card into the adaptor into the camera then Robert's your dad's brother.

When removing the card it's important to remove the whole combination as one, treat it as an sxs card, leaving the adaptor in the camera and pulling out just the sdhc card confuses the camera.
    Paul.

Now that is very interesting, one of the things I have been looking at is the cost of the genuine cards

do you notice any drop in quality when you use the "supposedly lower spec" cards ?

No there's no loss in quality by using different cards.
    We're not talking about tapes here, one make of tape being better quality than another make of tape.
    We're talking memory cards, the difference between cheap and expensive cards being the speed that information can be written onto it.
    That's why only certain cards will work, the more expensive faster cards, transcend and sandisk are ok.
    Also, the sony sxs cards connect via a pci-e interface within the camera allowing very high write speeds.
    The cheaper cards use an adaptor which connects via the usb interface within the camera, which limits write speed.
    This is the reason why only the sony sxs cards work faultlessly with the overcrank function.
    For this reason i still have 1 sxs card for the overcrank/slo-mo shots such as confetti being thrown, things like that, otherwise the transcend cards and adaptor work great for everything.

The reason that earlier EX1 camera's didn't work was because the original firmware had the usb interface within the camera disabled, sony then released the hard drive for the camera, this hard drive sits on the back of the camera, with a lead and fake sxs card on the end of the lead, this fake card plugs into the sxs slot, however the hard drive needs the usb interface to work, so a new firmware was released which activated the usb function within the camera, some bright spark then tried the adaptor and cheap cards and hey presto, the rest is history.
    As it happens, the cheap cards out perform the hard drive, i believe (and someone correct me if i'm wrong) the hard drive will only record in sp mode, ie 1440x1080 50i (25mbs), it cannot handly the high quality bit rates (35mbs).
    The cards can handle all formats and more, there's about 40% headroom on the cards when recording at the high bitrates, not including overcranking.

Paul.

Default I own an EX3, but this is worried me

I accidently tried to ajust the zoom and the iris rings when they were in automatic/digital mode. So they didn't really moved much, but i messed around a bit before I realised. Have i ruined my Fujison Lens? It seems to work fine... it doesn't say anything in the manual about doing or NOT doing this...

I doubt if you've damaged anything if it's all still working properly, i doubt if you'll do it again.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbristol View Post
    I doubt if you've damaged anything if it's all still working properly, i doubt if you'll do it again.

Paul.
    hahaha, how abrupt? have u ever accidently done this with your ex1?

Sorry mate, i didn't mean to sound abrupt.

I think most of us have at some point, tried to force things when they're engaged by the servo motor.

On the EX1 zoom there's a little stub to assist in turning the ring, it adds extra leverage, not that it's needed, i removed this stub, it just unscrews, if i try and turn the zoom when it's engaged i don't want this extra leverage, i just roll the zoom ring along the edge of my finger, easy if it's not engaged, hard and obvious if it is engaged.

Paul.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast