Thread: New PC? Searched here, but have ?s

Question New PC? Searched here, but have ?s

Up front, thanks so much to all you Folks who are so knowledgeable and willing to help newbs like me.

I've been reading the posts here about Video editing PC's, but since i don't *really* know about these things i still have some questions... Honestly, i don't have a plant-like IQ...

I want to config a PC for some video/photography editing, somewhat heavy gaming (Battlefield 2142 and i want to use ALL the eye-candy), and "regular" Office Appls like Powerpoint, Excel, etc.

My current video cam is a Panasonic PV-gs150 miniDV tape and i may upgrade at some point to a HD digi device. I use the manufacturer-supplied software at this point and again, may upgrade as the need arises.

For photography, i use open-source GIMP and will continue to do so. I will be converting RAW files and growing into some pano-stitching as well as possibly making HDR composites. I use both digital and film media and the initial/source file sizes range from 5mb up to about 48mb and then grow exponentially from there. Eventually i'll be moving to an even larger digital format so file sizes will grow dramatically.

OS: Vista 64-bit Premium or Windows 7 if it's not too buggy
    PSU: Thermaltake 1,000 watt
    CPU: Intel i7 920 2.66GHz
    Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe X58
    RAM: 6GB (2GB x3) DDR3 1600Mhz
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX295 1.7GB PCIe
    HDD1: RAID (0) 1TB (2x 500GB) SATA-II 3Gb/s 16MB cache 7200RPM
    Data Storage: 1TB SATA-II 3Gb/s 32MB cache 7200RPM

I've read the Nvidia Quadro cards are the way to go for strict video editing and that they help in many other ways as well.

However, will the Quadro cards also meet my gaming (Battlefield 2142 and upgrades with ALL the eye-candy) requirements?

Thanks so much!

frank

I think so,

OS: Vista 64-bit Premium or Windows 7 OK, although I would go higher

1 PSU: Thermaltake 1,000 watt
    2 CPU: Intel i7 920 2.66GHz
    3 Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe X58
    4 RAM: 6GB (2GB x3) DDR3 1600Mhz
    5 GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX295 1

I agree with all

Yea, that's a real good all round machine for what you want, video and photography wise. i'm not involved in any gaming so i can't vouch for the GPU.

However, do some research on the different brands of computers available to you. They do not all process data the same. you can stick all the top end stuff you want into them, but they'll only preform as well as their bus speeds. Check out some bench mark tests first.

Operating system - Callum Standring, how can you go any higher than Windows 7 right now? besides, I wouldn't touch it right now with a 10 ft pole at this point. I'm running Vista and seriously considering going back to XP.

Blog Entries

Raid 0 on sys offers little according to my understanding, but it IS twice as likely to fail.

Considor a 10,000 rpm raptor for fast sys - I have used them for years and my pc is much less hangy than all my friends.

For media I would considor raid 1 array - that is my plan on my next PC. You dont need a fat g card for editing - mine was 30 quid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redunda...ependent_disks

AnandTech: Western Digital's Raptors in RAID-0: Are two drives better than one?
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-23-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks everyone!

I'll be buying a pre-built from cyberpowerpc (dot) com so i have some limitations on selection. I don't know enough about how all the system stuff gets set up so a pre-build is the way for me....

I'm wishing the RAID1 config was available, but it's not....

Would the Raptor suffice for the system HDD then use a 1TB (500GB x2) RAID(0) as a Data HDD? I'm interested in having a signficant amount of on-board storage available...

I currently have 2 external HDD's, a 320gb that's sorta faltering these days and a WD 1TB "My Book" that is doing a fine job. I burn dvd back-ups also - don't want to loose anything, ya never know when that extra print request can come in...

Thx again!

frank

Blog Entries

If they can confiure as raid 0 I am sure they can do you raid 1.

Dont use raid 0 for media dries, as I said it is twice as likely to fail. ONe drive faliure on a raid 0 array and you loose ALL data on both drives.

Riad one needs twice as many drives for same storage, still offers faster reads and is totally safe. If one drive breaks the array will rebuild itself when drive is replaced.

OK, gotcha - here's their offering....

RAID1

1TB (1TBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Is this physically 2 separate 1TB HDD's?