Thread: Movie colors

Default Movie colors

Movies always seem to have different colors than default recording colors.

Do they just record the tapes with different contrast etc. Or do they edit the colors later on?
    I'd really like to know, because I love to make some short clips with the same effects.

For instance, Twilight has some sort of Dark feeling to it. I'd love to get that into one of my videos.

Default RE:

Twilight is good but I would go for Sundown,

There's more of an ambience to it I have to say.

Blog Entries

This is a huge subject. How you colour or grade a film can have a huge effect on the messages you send to the audience.

Most decent editors include tools such as curves, sats, colour correction tools and more and an editor should practice using grading as it is a very powerful tool.

Below is an example from a recent film of mine. This is something I am getting to grips with at present. Raw first then graded. It can be used subtely or obviously. The second example is horrendously underexposed, I prob should have used some gain in the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-23-2009 at 02:46 PM.

How did you made those effects? With video editing software? Or did you do something during the filming?

Btw. with Twilight I don't mean a twilight effect but just like the movie "Twilight".

Blog Entries

I really am not any authourity on lighting but my understanding is that it is best to create as much of the look you want with careful lighting.

I edit with vegas and typically to grade video I use curves, HSL adjust, saturation, sharpening, colour correction tools, overlay colour grads, glow and a few others in various ways and combinations but rarely all at once.

Simply, if you are watching amovie then you should assume it's been colour graded. Very few are not graded.

First, when clips are captured or digitised, they need to be balanced. This is the process of making two takes shot at different times of the day look the same. lighting changes during the day so things look different. One of the two clips you compare will need altering to be inthe same 'colour space' as the others. Once you've done this to all your clips and editted your movie you will then 'grade' the final cut. This si where you apply you flavour forthe film. like the green cast in the Matrix, blue cast in Mel Gibson's Payback, bleach bypass in Three Kings etc etc. It gives you a flavour or style for the movie as a whole.

However, as mark says, this is NO SUBSTITUTE forgetting your lighting right when you shoot though. I have a bundle of presets for different s/w to get nice flavours on my stuff.

What s/w you using?