Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What film did you just watch?

Blog Entries

Default What film did you just watch?

The Tenant.
    Roman Polanski.

Locataire, Le (1976)

The scariest film I have seen this year - the last 5 mins or so gets my vote for most disturbing top ten moments in film.

Also written by and starring the director althpugh there is no credit for him as actor.

I think i am more disrutrbed by the simialrity of one of the characters to my invented ' sylvia razzle ' character - if you watch the film you might get what I man.

Ooh, i think I'll watch it then. Love Roman Polanski movies.

I went on the weekend and watched twighlight. Thought it was pretty good too - a new twist on Vampires.

Blog Entries

I may check that one - get a sick bag for the last bit of the tenant !

After the tenant I watched Gay er Gladitaor for something more lighthearted and easy going.
    Great fun at 7ft wide - I still fell like my projector is the best new gadget after 4 months of having it.

My fav character in Gladiator is the evil ceaser.

Blog Entries

I watched the tenant and no country for old men with a fw friends last night - gave me bad dreams - lols.

I noticed a fw crew shots in windows / mirrors. All the way through the film had lots of mirror reveal type shots. Some film sites say this is a ' goof '.

I am not so sure - my thoery is that were included delberately as a device to play with the viewer in another way.

Blog Entries

Mr Smith Goes To Washington. Dir Frank Capra.

Crikey, b/w - gosh, 4:3 - heck, mono sound track - and still brilliant. Bring back b/w mono films I say !

It must have made waves at the time cos it is still pretty hard hitting. Light entertainment and subversive comment all in one.

Blog Entries

Powasqatsi.

Just chill out and drift off to this feast of music and film.

Shots of mostly slow motion poor people working in the poo mines and then dressing up in funny hats on thier days off.

Has some vague message about how evil we all are but meh to that.

Features P Glass's usual three tunes over and over but the music is brilliant.

The only film I have seen with a credit for ' dramatalurgical consultants ' - and I didnt make that up.
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-29-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Blog Entries

City of god - again. Dir Fernando Mierelles - who i have not heard off but he must hang with Scorsese.

Hand haeld wobbly camera that ISNT annoying and Domino style strong grading and editing tricks but it is never tarty or obtrusive.

The film has a huge pace and energy and packs lots in to less than 2 hours and 4 mins.

Some of my friends ahve seen this and maybe cos it is a ' foreign ' film thay got all seroius about it - missing the point entirely - no way is it a deeply moving expose of life on the edge - it's a complete HOON - like it says on my copie's box....

" This is the Brazilian Goodefellas. You wont see a more dazzling, compelling or emotionally affecting movie "
    ( Total Film )

Emotionally affecting? - I laughed loads - but there are a few really disturbing moments to keep you from relaxing too much.

Blog Entries

Prison film night.

Chopper - australian film scarily based on fact with a suprise in the extras that will make you hide under a cushion. Superbly twisted.

The Hill - Dir Sidney Lumet who also did 12 angry men, serpico and Murder on the Orient Express. Sean Connery when he was young but still looking sixty being bullied by scary guards in a film full of sweaty faces and scary guards. One of my fav films.

Escape From Alcatraz - Got bored after 40 mins.

Blog Entries

Eastern Promises - Dir Cronenberg. ( seen many times befor)

I love this film in spite of the crap fake baby. Vito Moregnson is a totally bad ass Russian mafia type. Best fight scene ever.

Best line ' You belong in there with nice people ' .

Blog Entries

Control - Dir/prod - Anton Corbijn ( first feature length film ) Is about Joy Division.

I dont seek out films about bands as I am not really big muso and for the most part they appeal to fans only.
    I was assured by my friend that this would be different. Is about Joy Division.

It was.

The film was a strangely restful and evocative trip through the Bands birth, growth and death with us sharing the joys and fears of the deeply troubled lead singer.

Shot in sexy b/w with superb camera work and gentle editing. The camera work is poritively sedate and not what I expected. Everything is either tripod, often locked off or hand held for gig scenes. Tracking shots are fw and uber slow and there is hardly any high energy camera work.

The combination of b/w and the sedate camera work allows the fantastic performances to enslave you without daft filmy distractions.

Lots of snips of great music. Ah - the music. The actors were picked not cos of thier musical skills - but some could sort of play, others not. Amazingly they learned to play together from scratch so the band scenes are for real so to speak.

John Cooper Clark is in it as himself - he never seems to age.

Samantha Morton - ( was also Agatha a precog in minority report ) plays the lead singers wife and she rules in this.

I cant prise this enough - definitely a watch again soon.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast