Thread: Probs with Breath on Mic

Default Probs with Breath on Mic

Huge probs in an interview. The speaker breathed on the microphone whiole he was speaking. We didn't pick it up cos we thought it was coming fromt he other mic - interviewer. Damn

Some pieces are simple enough to edit out, but when he speaks it's a nightmare trying to get outand at the same time retaining his voice and what he's telling us.

ANY tipps or tricks would be great in post. I'm using Soundbooth and Premiere,

Thanks in advance

Arghh! I can understand your frustration and your anger at not picking this up on the cans during the interview. Can't help with the sound edit, especially if this was while he was speaking. Easy to cut between words, but not during.
    Sounds like a retake, sorry.

For future ref and I'm probably telling you how to suck eggs, but:-
    Always monitor on headphones.
    If using a radio mic? - Always point em away from the noseblow
    Stand mic - use a cheap and cheerful Pop filter.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

For sure - paranoia is a good friend to the filmmaker.

Manchester, UK

I say this as an professional audio editor, it's unfortunate but it's impossible to completely get rid of it once it's recorded, it can only be disguised or improved but not completely eradicated.

Wind on a mic is very similar noise to old damaged vinyl records. Sony's Soundforge has a very good noise reduction and restoration plugins but don't expect instant results as it's quite a pain stacking operation just learning the software.

Again this is no cure but makes it less obvious. If the wind noise is louder than the speech use a compressor to raise the volume of the quieter sections and then reduse the overall volume.