Thread: Steve Jobs **An Entrepreneur**

Default Steve Jobs **An Entrepreneur**

Hey guys,

I made this on imovie HD 6 for a business project! We had to make a movie on an entrepreneur of our choice so here it is! What do you guys think of the editing etc.?

after the iphone slide you had a picture of a ipod touch not a iphone!

Blog Entries

Way too many text effects for my liking - choose one and stick with that would be my advice.

Blog Entries

Text effects do seem to have become this year's transition. Just because you 'can', doesn't mean you should. As effects become easier to pull off, eager editors tend to get rather heavy handed with them. Call it the 'law of availability'.

Blog Entries

1. Agree entitrely with Andy. Think of titles in video like titles on a printed document. They want to be consistent and only use one or two typefaces.

2. Are you sure your content matches your assignment brief? This was a video about how wonderful Apple is and a number of its products rather than about Steve Jobs.

3. Get your facts right. Steve Jobs did not invent the iPod iPod History - Invention of the iPod

4. iPod was the most important invention for Apple? Is this your opinion or based on some facts - either way, you should state.

5. Keep posting - we may seem overly critical, but it's a great way t learn if you listen.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Less is more with text effects. I aim to use one subtle effect - perhpas thiese tpye fx tools lead the editor astray? Too easy to make something distracting.

This film has no edge, no content umless you are an apple fanboy - it is merely repackaged promotional material from apple and comes across as fawning and made by an accolyte.

SOme factual errors - apple did not invent the portable mp3 hard drive player - he claims he did only to then confuse us all by saying he didnt - it would have been interesting to examine this claim.

He also claims apple invented f wire - also not true - patent rights were granted to the many companies who developed it.

" largely driven by contributions from Apple, although major contributions were also made by engineers from Texas Instruments, Sony, Digital Equipment Corporation, IBM, and INMOS/SGS Thomson (now STMicroelectronics). " ( that should also include hewlett packard I think )

IEEE 1394 interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would have been intersting to examine those claims and the complexities of the liscensing process and poltitcs. I understand apple insisted on large payments for use of it's co developed technoology for years.

I also have to say that if f wire is so great as Mr Jobs says why have apple removed it from the new i pod and that thin computer they make for thin mac people.

A short doc about apple might also included examples of anticompetitive business practices, thier poor environemntal record and use of child labour in the third world.

Many big corperations trade like this but apple are a good target as they also promote this lifstlye marketing technique - but I suspect you are under it's influence looking at your film

Hard to be more enthusiasiatic for a film that is repackaged PR - it doesnt say anything new or contentious.

Thanks for the feed back guys!

It was really my first time ever editing something so I will take your criticism.
    I just wanted to know what experienced editors thought of it. I got an A for it in school and everyone liked it so I am proud of that.. But someone said I was talking about apple and not Steve Jobs, I am not saying that I know more than you but I clearly listed out four things that Steve Jobs did to promote apple! I was concentrating on what he did to achieve his success!

Anyway, thanks again guys for giving me your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgann View Post
    Thanks for the feed back guys!

It was really my first time ever editing something so I will take your criticism.
    I just wanted to know what experienced editors thought of it. I got an A for it in school and everyone liked it so I am proud of that.. But someone said I was talking about apple and not Steve Jobs, I am not saying that I know more than you but I clearly listed out four things that Steve Jobs did to promote apple! I was concentrating on what he did to achieve his success!

Anyway, thanks again guys for giving me your opinion!
    As you can probably tell there are some strong views on Apple in this forum!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgann View Post
    but I clearly listed out four things that Steve Jobs did to promote apple! I was concentrating on what he did to achieve his success!
    Obviously it wasn't clear to me You said "There is [sic] many factors why apple [sic] is a success".

It doesn't say Steve Jobs was instrumental in this. It may be obvious to you, but someone who doesn't know anything about Steve Jobs who sees this video for the first time needs to have that spelled out.

Remember, you have to make your films assuming the audience knows nothing of the subject.

And founding Apple and marketing the Apple Computer and Mac were probably far more entrepreneurially significant than the iPod & iPhone. But I wasn't going to say that

Congratulations on your A. A few changes and it might have been an A+.
    Tim