Thread: How do I record from an external source

Default How do I record from an external source

I have a new JVC Everio Hard Disk GZ-MG360 cam. I need to figure out how to get the video output on my camcorder to switch to video input mode so I can record off of my SeeSnake which is a camera and monitor used for inspecting plumbing pipes. Can't figure it out and have tried everything I could find in menu screens. Any info is greatly appriciated

Blog Entries

Very possible that your camera doesn't support AV in. Within the UK (and possibly the whole EU) AV inputs make a camera capable of recording stuff other than that coming through the lens (i.e. TV) and therefore attracts more tax. Essentially the government view it as a VCR. Manufacturers often avoid equipping cameras with AV in in order to keep the retail price of the camera's down.

EDIT - I just googled your camera and it looks like I'm right in as much as it doesn't appear to have AV in - only AV out. Sorry. A case of try before you buy?

LAST THOUGHT. If you explore the net, you may find a firmware upgrade for the camera that allows the AV in to be enabled. As I understand it, most cameras are built with the AV in for worldwide sale but the menu systems have the option disabled or hidden. A risky thing to try, but you may have no choice....
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 01-22-2009 at 07:45 AM.

ya i was a little worried about that. i do have a older handi cam that may work for it though. guess i gotta take it out of storage to give it a try. bummer, really enjoy using the newer jvc. thank you very much for your time and doing the research, I really do appreciate it. ps, if my handi cam does work, would you be able to tell me if its possible to transfer a 8mm tape onto a dvd. Thats the reason I upgraded to the jvc, was to get out of the old tapes and into the dvd's. thank you

Blog Entries

I think you have very few options. Other than (and this is worth a stab) going back to the shop, and asking for a product exchange / refund by claiming you asked for AV in capability when you purchased. Long shot though.... (or the firmware upgrade)

EDIT - Apparently the 365 supports AV in... according to THIS answer on another site.

Just nosing around the net and it seems alot of people are in your boat. One sites poster said he was looking at 600 for a HDD camera with AV in. HERE - I'm starting to think you should whack it on eBay, get as much as you can and buy a MiniDV with AV in. Even if you have to go pre-owned, at least it'll do what you want. Oh, and the quality and editability will be superior too.

Something like THIS or THIS perhaps?
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 01-22-2009 at 09:17 AM.