Thread: Sony HDR-HC1

1. Question Amateur/Prosumer Camera???

So I have been looking around for a new camera (evolved passed my cheap dv camera with auto everything). I know dv is still a viable option, but the temptation of hdv is strong. Im looking for a camera that can give me prosumer results for a reasonable price. The HDR-HC1 appears to be a good option because it has a manual focus lens as well as records in hdv and has great reviews. Before anyone goes out and says I need to try it, I did, but it was a year ago and in use under the regular dv setting (results looked pretty good to me at that time). I guess my question is wether or not this is still a good option to buy (as it came out in 2006) or if it is too outdated. Also, if you don't think this is a good decision, can you offer me any other advice as to another camera to look into.
    PS: I am able to get the HDR-HC1 for about $800. THis is around my price range, and can't go over $1000.
    Last edited by videonoob2233; 01-21-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Blog Entries

" prosumer results for a reasonable price " - not a chance - pay more for prosumer and you get a camera that is much more flexible and easy to use.

But having said that the hc30 is about the lowest spec I would considor that can begin to expoit the extra res that hdv aims to provide.

The canon hv20/30 is also often rated well and a fw people on here love them.

3. Default

Thx for your help. ANything you can recommend that is DV quality for my budget? Possibly something with a manual focus/zoom lens? I want to get a camera that will give me the opportunity to be artistic with my shots (shots changing focus from blurred to in focus, smooth zooms, ect.). Or is there some sort of 3rd party lens that would allow me these options?
    Last edited by videonoob2233; 01-22-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Also considor sony pd 170, canon xl2, sony vx2000, canon xm2. Not an exhuastive lst.

Those all have focus rings and some may have f ring too.