Thread: 200 or under camcorder? is the JVC Everio GZ-MG275E any good?

Default 200 or under camcorder? is the JVC Everio GZ-MG275E any good?

Hi
    im looking for a camcorder thats hard drive based thats under 200. The quality should be reasonable and not too pixelated. I was thinking about getting the JVC Everio GZ-MG275E. IS this any good?

Blog Entries

Unless you've a really good reason for buying a hard drive based camera over Mini DV, I would reconsider your original decision. No end of people moan about the editability of hard drive camcorder files.

If 200 is your budget, there's plenty of choice in the Mini DV world...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Unless you've a really good reason for buying a hard drive based camera over Mini DV, I would reconsider your original decision. No end of people moan about the editability of hard drive camcorder files.

If 200 is your budget, there's plenty of choice in the Mini DV world...
    its not really for me personally. I'M researching which is best for someone else and they stated a hard drive based camcorder specifically.

Blog Entries

Then I would ask them why HDD and if they are aware of the potential drawbacks. Don't get your fingers burnt here... they might just fall out with you if you say 'X' camera is great, then they buy it and can't edit from it easily...

Then I would ask them why HDD and if they are aware of the potential drawbacks. Don't get your fingers burnt here... they might just fall out with you if you say 'X' camera is great, then they buy it and can't edit from it easily...
    ive just sent an email back to him stating that HDD camcorders are normally lower quality in picutre, take up a lot of battery life and the only advantage is recording more video as its in a lower quality. I've actually got one of the first HDD camcorders they brought out and i have to agree with you. I would have hoped they would improve the technology but it seems that it hasnt improved that much. Its quite annoying as transfering the data to DVD is really annoying and ive just said its much eaiser to just use a DVD recorder because its so annoying to do.

Have DVD camcorders improved at all? Would they be better? Its only going to be used for recording home videos and it may be more suited to him. From what i remember, they are better in terms of quality but i dont know about the battery life or the length you can record. Will this be ok?
    Last edited by arjun; 01-21-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arjun View Post
    ..Have DVD camcorders improved at all?..?
    Not especially. But - this is where I may retract from my initial position. IF the videos produced are not going to be edited in any way, then HDD may be fine. I tend to (since this is an editing forum) give advice based on the editability (as I said earlier). At the end of the day, if the video is just going to plugged into a TV and watched then HDD may be just fine.

Not especially. But - this is where I may retract from my initial position. IF the videos produced are not going to be edited in any way, then HDD may be fine. I tend to (since this is an editing forum) give advice based on the editability (as I said earlier). At the end of the day, if the video is just going to plugged into a TV and watched then HDD may be just fine.
    I think he may use editing just to put the videos on to dvd to share but i doubt he'll do much editing. He's just sent a email stating he found this for 150 used however and he's thinking of buying it. Is it worth buying? I know that even though it says "HD" the quality of the image may be quite bad depending on the lens. Do you think this is a good buy?

Blog Entries

The last camera you mention is a very cool toy but not a proper camera and these often have more data related issues - and it most certinly will not be HD and is liekly to perform worse than a vaule dv camera.

HD / DVD cameras are only good if you never want to edit stuff - DVD cameras a really good for people who just want to keep raw video of holidays and stuff I reckon - but they look gross to me with that round bit for the disc. lols.

DV as a format has been going for ages for a reason - it works.

Most naive camera buyers are distracted by mendacious sales people and bright new things - it amuses me that in the field of comsumer electronics the newest is universally accepted as better. Often it is far more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    The last camera you mention is a very cool toy but not a proper camera and these often have more data related issues - and it most certinly will not be HD and is liekly to perform worse than a vaule dv camera.

HD / DVD cameras are only good if you never want to edit stuff - DVD cameras a really good for people who just want to keep raw video of holidays and stuff I reckon - but they look gross to me with that round bit for the disc. lols.

DV as a format has been going for ages for a reason - it works.

Most naive camera buyers are distracted by mendacious sales people and bright new things - it amuses me that in the field of comsumer electronics the newest is universally accepted as better. Often it is far more complicated.
    I think that a DVD camcorder may be more suited however the lack of recording space may mean that he will need to swap discs quite a lot. I'll see what he says and talk to him a bit more about which camera he wants. He could always get a DV camcorder with a SD card slot though.