Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boring question for an equally boring day

Blog Entries

Default Boring question for an equally boring day

I'm just about to run our of hard drive space and have just about used up all internal drive spaces (4 x SATA drives). I never thought I'd ever run out of space. So how much space do YOU have and how is it configured?

Not sure what I should do - be more ruthless and start deleting footage from years ago or buy shed loads of external space. I ahve the tapes and I can easily transfer to the PC if I ever want the footage (plus some of my older projects in Premiere 6.5 look all screwy in Pro 1.5).

I think I'll combine the two - get rid of non Pro 1.5 projects, use the project manager on Pro 1.5, create images of the DVDs and then move them to external drives...

what do YOU do?

Jesus that was a boring question. I hate pensions.

Have you deleted all the render files for those older projects? No real point keep those on your drives. Why not back up old projects to a DVD ROM?
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

The render files is a very good point. I occasionally do a search for files > 1MB, order them by size and delete any files that are clearly not needed. Amazing how much crap this clears!

Also have a whole stack of 2.4x discs to use, so will see if I can squeeze any smaller projects on one disc (I just know that if i spread it over > 1, I'll end up with DVD 4 of 5 getting lost).

Then leave DVD 4 of 5 blank and record it to DVD 6
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LJR
    Then leave DVD 4 of 5 blank and record it to DVD 6
    Genius.

With my new rig only being a few months old still, I've still got plenty of HDD space left so not had to worry about this yet.

This thread has raised an interesting point though. Which directories is it safe to simply delete from a Premiere Pro project. A previous post referred to 'render files' so how are these identified?

Or is it simply a case of trash anything that's not a project asset or the project file itself?

Blog Entries

If memory serves me correctly, Pro 1.5 creates a seperate subfolder for preview (rendered) files in the project folder. Check out the size of the "conformed audio folder". She is huge. Obviously this isn't needed if archiving!

id say get a raid pci card and add some more hdds or build a storage server for ur network
    2.6b at 3.3
    1 gig of OCZ Platinum Limited Edition PC3200(2-2-2)
    Abit IC7
    Seagate 80gb sata
    Aspire X-Alien
    460W Enermax
    9800 Pro
    SP-94 with Tornado

Panasonic GS200 on its way with:
    3 DV Tapes, Tripod, Bag, Telephoto Lens, Lens Cleaning Kit

Blog Entries

id say get a raid pci card and add some more hdds or build a storage server for ur network
    Nice ideas Physical space in my case is exhausted, so it has to be external...

u could always get this bad boy :twisted: http://www.atechfabrication.com/prod...ss_storage.htm

yes, i kno, its so uneconomical

i would prolly go the external route..buying internal hdds and external enclosures to stick them in
    2.6b at 3.3
    1 gig of OCZ Platinum Limited Edition PC3200(2-2-2)
    Abit IC7
    Seagate 80gb sata
    Aspire X-Alien
    460W Enermax
    9800 Pro
    SP-94 with Tornado

Panasonic GS200 on its way with:
    3 DV Tapes, Tripod, Bag, Telephoto Lens, Lens Cleaning Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast