Thread: external hard drive recommendations

Default external hard drive recommendations

hi there,

can anyone recommend an external drive for video editing. The ones i have looked at is the 500g my book from western digital with a firewire or the seagate 1T free agent. I have been told to stay away from maxtor. the big difference is that my book had firewire but I obviously already have that on my desk top so is that a big deal. The camera i use is the sony 150. I am a simple story teller and not into effects etc. any suggestions please, cris.

I am using premeire 6.0 pent 4 2.4 g with 1g ram. have an 80g hard drive already.

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries

Much of a muchness as they say. Firewire connectivity will obviously give better results, but I bought a 1TB maxtor (USB) just after Christmas for 103.00 and it's been just fine.

3. Default

I have a tb "my book" form WD. Works fine (i use the firewire port). ANother plus is it claims it supports the daisy-chaining of other firewire devices (i can't, for the life of me, figure out how to daisy-chain them, but thats a different story). For a regular hard drive to store video and capture to, the my book works fine.

fr USA, live in Sarajevo

I'll second the WD "My Book" 1TB recommendation. I've had mine for a little while, but only have approx., 240GB on it. I use the included cable that hooks up to my USB on my notebook and using it is a complete no-brainer.

I must add that i re-formatted it FAT32 to NTFS. Check here for a load of opinions:

Customer Reviews Of Western Digital My Book Essential WDH1U10000N 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - Retail

It is fast, quiet, and reliable (so far....). I couldn't imagine what i'd want an External HDD to do that this doesn't.

It simply does the job. Period.
    Last edited by fmajor007; 01-23-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Add a review link