Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory video

Blog Entries

Default Obligatory video

I spend enough time criticising others so here's a film I was responsible for a year ago.

I'm well aware of many of its shortcomings but feel free to criticise - you may even come up with something that hasn't been mentioned before (and even if your criticism is old news to me, others may benefit).

It's been shown at a number of amatuer festivals and whilst not walked away with any wins managed to gain a "Commended" in the 2008 Guernsey Lily, a Silver Diploma in the 2008 Cotswold International and most recently a "Commended" in the 2009 Surrey Film-Video Festival where it was deservedly beaten by Fingercuff's "Tent Boy".

I can recommend amateurs entering films into these festivals as it's an opportunity to get valuable feedback from respected and experienced judges.

If you can't wait, the notorious "flake" episode occurs at 2:38

YouTube - Eye in the Sky
    Tim

As I said on the day Tim really enjoyed seeing your work. All good fun! And that flake moment phwoar!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

I absolutely loved this Tim. Ten out of ten from me - despite my thought that it's perhaps a tad long. The gag is a good one and took me a minute or so before I twigged. The bloke reading the paper in the control room was the first give-away for me.

I absolutely have the highest admiration for you guys that go out and make videos like this. I wish I had your creativity and drive to do it.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your comments Andy - praise indeed. I may discuss the length thing a bit later but I don't want to pre-empt any other comments as yet.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Almost totally perfect in my book.

Subversive, acerbic and funny and so true. What is this country coming to.

We got those in Bristol - if one rants at me they are getting a mooner !

A cctv film is on my to do list - but I suspect mine wont be quite as seductive and subtle as yours. Love the flake gag.

In my s list for next months VOTM.

Maybe could be improved if a bit shorter and more snappy. A minor point in a video that does what it aims to do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I spend enough time criticising others so here's a film I was responsible for a year ago.
    Excellent British comedy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    In my s list for next months VOTM.
    Glad (and extremely pleasantly surprised) you enjoyed it Mark. And I'm impressed you read so much into it. It really was intended as just a bit of fun. But theres little doubt some anti nanny state/big brother feelings from my subconscious was at work here.

I'm flattered even to be mentioned in the same sentence as VOTM without the word "not" being included.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Excellent British comedy.
    That hadn't occurred to me but you're spot on. It draws from a great tradition of crap & corny humour
    The old man stripped down to his underwear is very "seaside postcard"/Benny Hill.
    The man embarrased at reading his top shelf mag is very "Carry On".
    The exercise session (actually a strong idea [not mine] but executed poorly [my fault as editor and director]) is almost Pythonesque in the way it shows that in the absense of any other incentive or direction, Brits will just follow authority - no matter how bizarre the instruction.
    Even the CCTV operators are a bit Peter Cook & Dudley Moore.
    And the "schoolma'amly" woman at the end could't have come from anywhere but the UK.

None of this was intentional but you're right - it's there. I guess all this stuff sort of seeps into ones subconscious and appears in ones own creative work.
    Tim

Blog Entries

^^^ I think you should stop being all modest Tim - bad habit.
    I now think you must be a natural genius cos all those things you mention just came naturally to you

I am suprised you are suproised at my VOTM suggestion. It really is special.

That was really cool – giggled all the way through it.

Normally riffs on that kind of subject-matter tend to have that quite oppressive “Grrrr! - here come the men in jackboots” feel, whereas you’ve injected a lot warmth and humanity in there without losing any of the satirical edge. Quite a rare balancing-act to be able to lampoon something whilst retaining a level of viewer-sympathy for the characters I think.

The scripting on the guys in the control-room was probably the key for me. Definitely rang true. I particularly liked the guy who wouldn’t give up his seat, and the guy who got busted with the grumble-mag too. You’re right, there’s something indefinably English about the sight of a disgruntled little man scuttling away with his tail between his legs! Made me laugh.

The cuts-to-music early on worked well too. Neat Police-Camera-Action vibe which set up the gags nicely.

Personally I didn’t have a problem with the length – to me it seemed to zip along quite pleasingly. Having said that I do tend to settle quite happily into a groove with stuff like that – if I like it then I’m happy to keep watching. Probably Andy and Mark are coming from a more technical standpoint so I don’t wanna disagree too fervently.

The old woman at the end was a nice touch too – reminded me a bit of my gran! They have eerie powers…

Also (and this is purely anecdotal rambling now… sorry) it reminded me of something from years back. A mate and me were coming home from the pub one night in the pouring rain and there was this through-pass in the shopping-precinct which stayed open to let people through. We dove inside to hide from the rain and rest up, and after about five minutes this booming voice comes bellowing over the PA system: “PLEASE DON’T LEAN ON THE GLASS!”. Being a pair of drunken student berks we naturally started pointing up at the camera and doing mock-breakdancing back at him expecting to enrage ‘the voice’ further. Instead he proceeds to start playing music through the speakers at us by way of encouragement, and we wound up spending about twenty minutes mucking about back and forth before the rain stopped. (Presumably countless joyless years spent guarding a thirty-foot square patch of shopping-mall by himself had left the guy with a sense of humour).

Just goes to show there’s a human face behind every stoney exterior I suppose. That’s pretty much the vibe I got from watching your vid. Agree about the British tendency to unquestioningly follow orders sometimes, but you explore this with a lot of charm and humour so there’s an overall sense of pragmatism and positivity in there which I think really aids the humour, and actually makes the satirical aspects more effective. Oppressive state-apparatus manned by… nitwits just like the rest of us! It’s just a funny concept.

I really hate using the word ‘likeable’ (sounds horribly like damning something with faint praise) but hopefully you know what I mean in this case.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast