Thread: A video editing pc under $500??

Default A video editing pc under $500??

Is there such a thing as a video editing pc under $500?? I have a buddy that is looking for me to build him one for under 500 dollars. Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Blog Entries

Yes.

Any editor will run on any PC and edit films. My first editing PC was a XP1700 AMD. Slow PCs just get more frustrating but it still all works.

Can you post the exact specs and i can maybe tell you what you can exepct to be able to do without too much frustration.

3. Default

Totally do-able, as long as they aren't expecting to edit hdv (may be do-able, but very slow). Until my recent upgrade to a macbook core 2 duo, I was editing on a pentium 4 desktop with (i think) 1 gb of ram. This worked fine for dv editing (renders were a little slow, but not unbearable). As you probably know, MAX THE RAM!

When I asked a local computer builder for a quote for a video editing PC he said something like 'it depends how far you want to go with it'. He said he has built PC's for videographers that cost 2000.00.
    There is a kind of basic minimum spec, I think it's something like 8 gig of RAM, a couple of hard drives each with 250 gig storage, and I forget the rest.
    I just bought a PC with quad processor, 4 gig of RAM, a 500 gig hard drive, 1 gig graphics. I'm a total newb and have just started to edit my first video on it, it seems powerful enough to me but I have nothing to compare it with, ie. I haven't used the above basic minimum spec.
    It cost me 300.00 new, from a PC builder on Ebay who has plenty of good rep.
    No local PC builder could compete with this price and spec.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1 View Post
    ..it's something like 8 gig of RAM, a couple of hard drives each with 250 gig storage....
    I edit on 2Gb Ram and have no problems. In terms of Hard drive space, I'm up to three and a bit terabyte. Most of that is for archiving and storage. But with hard drives becoming cheaper and cheaper, get as much as you can I'd say.

There's alot of far more knowlegeable people on here than me where PC specs are concerned, but I think the first bloke you mentioned in trying to, shall we say, maximise his profits...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1 View Post
    When I asked a local computer builder for a quote for a video editing PC he said something like 'it depends how far you want to go with it'. He said he has built PC's for videographers that cost 2000.00.
    There is a kind of basic minimum spec, I think it's something like 8 gig of RAM, a couple of hard drives each with 250 gig storage, and I forget the rest.
    I just bought a PC with quad processor, 4 gig of RAM, a 500 gig hard drive, 1 gig graphics. I'm a total newb and have just started to edit my first video on it, it seems powerful enough to me but I have nothing to compare it with, ie. I haven't used the above basic minimum spec.
    It cost me 300.00 new, from a PC builder on Ebay who has plenty of good rep.
    No local PC builder could compete with this price and spec.
    That guy was talking crap - there isnt really a minumum spec.
    You DONT need 8 gig of ram - I ran vegas fine in 1 gig for years and now have 4.
    You DONT have to have 2 drives - but it is slightly smoother if you do.
    You most certainly need a pricey g card - mine was 30.

I have an Acer - AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 4400+ 2.30 ghz. 2 GB RAM. 9 in 1 card reader - 12 USB 2.0 ports Windows Vista. Firewire card. soundcard. Graphics card. CD/DVD lightscribe RW burner. 19" LCD monitor. Great for video editing

Total price (they threw in a HP f4280 all in one in for $9.99) with tax $535.00 CDN.

Acers are great computers too. This is my third Acer.

I'm going to throw this in here too. No matter what kind of computer or how good it's specs are, you have to learn some computer management. By that I mean you can't expect your computer to run like a top for what you're doing while you have a couple of hundred processes running while it's doing some scheduled scans on top of the fact that you've never defragged your harddrive or cleaned up your registry.

There was a time, not too long ago, when people that were really into video editing had a dedicated computer just for that. Stripped down version of windows, no other apps other than what they needed for video editing and no internet connection. This left the processor and RAM to focus entirely on video.

All computers come optimized for the average user. You can then optimize it for the type of applications that you run on it.
    Last edited by Flickson; 01-22-2009 at 11:49 PM.