Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: January 2009: Dear to the One - Music Video

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ..Valid comments? Or am i just wasting griffey's time?
    All comments are valid here. Good ones possibly more so. I would be so much more encouraged if I had a bunch of "you got that right" replies than none at all.

Plus - often the real crap gets ignored totally too and a post with no replies attracts no responses.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    All comments are valid here. Good ones possibly more so. .....post with no replies attracts no responses.
    You make a good point, Andy. I shall make an effort to leave some feedback for every film I look at, whether I feel "qualified" or not.
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback! I appreciate it! It's good to know that you all have enjoyed the video! It is also helps legitimize my craft!

The lights - are expensive... but I'm still a student (final semester) - so I have access to the gear fairly regularly.

Tim - thanks for the comments - yeah the dolly intro was deliberate- there is the (I hope) cool factor, but also the symbolic separation from that person and their 'case'. As far as speed I didn't want to harp on the shot and rather preferred to keep it, short and sweet. And to call attention to the person passing through and again more specifically the case.

Bummed to hear not everyone totally enjoyed the song -- but, I understand whole heartedly. I was banking on the fact that there were chances to implement different shots and lighting - the silhouettes. But, the song is almost 5 minutes long, so a lot is being asked for any viewer. It's a true kind of commitment!

Funny you mention the blue shots! I think your fairly dead on! And actually it was supposed to be the moonlight shinning through the window behind him. I had selected the blue color for the drummer and when I setup my iights outside it was just not the same blue as in the studio. And with it raining on and off, I finally pulled the plug outside and light from inside. And then the lighting on the background became flat fast. So yeah, I think if I had more time I would have tried to troubleshoot and really spice up that location and the background!

So yeah, valid comments from everyone! Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it again!

You've done a fantastic job here. You've obviously spent a hell of amount of time on your lighting and it shows brilliantly. Well done!

5. Default

Thanks sheltor! The lighting comes from experience and a good amount of testing in studio before going out to shoot. Just knowing exactly what you want and knowing how to do it on set, can really speed things up. I only had a day with the band. So everything you saw with the band is shot in one 18hr period...

Quote Originally Posted by sheltor View Post
    You've done a fantastic job here. You've obviously spent a hell of amount of time on your lighting and it shows brilliantly. Well done!
    Yeah, can we borrow your lights please?

7. Default

haha - sure! If your in the states....

Default Editing

I though that this music video is fantastic,i wished i had the time to polish my videos to a standard half of this video,but i would get about 15 years behind as i take such alot of footage!

9. Default

Thanks! Yeah, its easy to get carried away and shoot way too much footage... especially on a EX-1... We shot almost 5 and a half hours worth. It was easy to move thru is post because each take was its own clip on the EX-1, so you could immediately just skip entire takes that were bust and save from going thru everything... though I still like to watch it all...

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Probably because it's good. And loads of comments just saying that are not really seen as constructive.

It's very difficult for a bumbling amateur such as me to post something constructive about a film which is clearly very professionally made. I loved the clarity, loved the colours and can only begin to appreciate the skill that has gone into it.

I think the opening was "strange", not sure if I liked it or not. The panning along the chain-link fence was fine but the movement in the same direction of the talent at a faster rate than the pan was disorientating (presumably deliberately so). Having watched it a few times now (to validate my comment) it doesn't appear strange at all. I, like the editor, have got used to it. So maybe it's "wrong" but we don't notice it any more. Or maybe not

I got bored because the song didn't move me.

I thought the "blue" shots of the drummer didn't fit in so well. In the other shots the background was distant and unlit which gave both depth to the shot and a sense of isolation of the subject from the surroundings. In the case of the drummer, the background walls were right on top of him and lit blue. Maybe this was intentional.

Valid comments? Or am i just wasting griffey's time?
    I also think so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12