Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January 2009: Dear to the One - Music Video

Default January 2009: Dear to the One - Music Video

I completed this music video back in the fall. Took 3 days of shooting, and I only had one with the band. Everything was shot on the Sony EX-1.

Editing Tools : FCP 6

Enjoy!

[ame="http://vimeo.com/1872011"]Clairmont - 'Dear to the One' on Vimeo[/ame]
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 03-04-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Blog Entries

Very professional. And I'm surprised this one has passed eveyone by. Truly excellent. What more can I say?

Blog Entries

I confess that I see ' popular beat combo video entertainment ' and pass by - like those must see skater vids.
    Wrong this time.
    That was lush.
    Hugely moody and impressive lighting and colour work. I imagine some big lights in some of those outside shots surely - or was it clever use of incidental light sources ?
    Great script, on the money editing.
    Great song too if you like suicidal strummy geetar

When they put the ex1 innerds in a shoulder held camera with a video lens and proper finder I am going to have to take up crime - they really do cut the mustard.

( dont worry I still have an almost pathological loathing of HDV - the ex1 uses a far better codec and 35 mbit/sec.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    ..Great song too if you like suicidal strummy geetar ..
    Ha too true! This video is far too good for the song...and I agree on the lighting - truly excellent.

Blog Entries

Yea - for a change the video shines more than the song - but there agaon I am but the target market as I am not ill with drepssion this year - lols.

Current fav album is Colour me up by pendulum - not the same at all. All I can hear in my head with strummy sing along geetar is ' are you going to scarborough fair ' . Not my cup of gently steaming.

Thanks for the thoughts Mark and Andy!

As far as lighting - outside - I only used Arri 650s. I took advantage of the incidental's and sometimes select a location just based on the natural aurora a place gives off. And the EX-1 is really that awesome in low light, the 1/2 inch chip does wonders. And stuff like the bridge, I actually only had 1 650! It had been raining, and we only had a few takes of each shot. But with the rain and the location of the outlets, I had to just blast the one light from the distance. Ideally if I wasn't worried that it was going to rain again (which it did 5 mins after we wrapped that shot) I would have used a bunch more lights!

Thanks for the thoughts on the color, it was loads of fun to do and I just love that kind of stuff! All of the color work was in camera too - I like to utilize my gels, the temps of my bulbs, and mix the color temps in camera. So after some test shoots I decided what colors and looks I wanted and then created my shot list along with the settings needed to pull it off. (I used two primariy light kits - an Arri 300/650 (Tungsten bulbs) and Lowel Case lights (5500 Daylight bulbs).

Again, glad you guys enjoyed!

Blog Entries

Much respect for not doing it in post - and probably looks much better for doing the hard way. The ex1 latitude looks very impressive.
    I have to confess that a combination of poverty and laziness means that the whole lighting thing is still a mystery to me.

I hope to get some lights and learn this year - but OUCH to the prices of proper video lights.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Much respect for not doing it in post - and probably looks much better for doing the hard way. The ex1 latitude looks very impressive.
    I have to confess that a combination of poverty and laziness means that the whole lighting thing is still a mystery to me.

I hope to get some lights and learn this year - but OUCH to the prices of proper video lights.
    Fully agree with all that. Doing it the 'hard' way deserves utmost respect. And lighting - prices are mad for sure...

Still don't understand why this video has attracted so few comments - baffling!

Blog Entries

I for one will shamelessly bump it if it sinks with only the comments from me an thee.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Still don't understand why this video has attracted so few comments - baffling!
    Probably because it's good. And loads of comments just saying that are not really seen as constructive.

It's very difficult for a bumbling amateur such as me to post something constructive about a film which is clearly very professionally made. I loved the clarity, loved the colours and can only begin to appreciate the skill that has gone into it.

I think the opening was "strange", not sure if I liked it or not. The panning along the chain-link fence was fine but the movement in the same direction of the talent at a faster rate than the pan was disorientating (presumably deliberately so). Having watched it a few times now (to validate my comment) it doesn't appear strange at all. I, like the editor, have got used to it. So maybe it's "wrong" but we don't notice it any more. Or maybe not

I got bored because the song didn't move me.

I thought the "blue" shots of the drummer didn't fit in so well. In the other shots the background was distant and unlit which gave both depth to the shot and a sense of isolation of the subject from the surroundings. In the case of the drummer, the background walls were right on top of him and lit blue. Maybe this was intentional.

Valid comments? Or am i just wasting griffey's time?
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast