Thread: Inserting titles

1. Default Inserting titles

I know this is going to seem like a real basic question but it's something I'm having trouble with.

Scenario: I have my completed Vegas project and then try to insert titles, using text and pro type titler, onto the top of the footage but when I click and drag the title generator onto the start of my video it just sits on top of the footage blocking the image behind it.

Question: How the hell do I get the titles and video to merge so the titles are overlaid on top of the footage?

Many thanks for your help!!

Goldfinger

Blog Entries

Open the text tool, got to properties, make sure the background alpha channel is set to zero.

Set the compositing mode on the text track to Source Alpha. Now the text backgruond will be transparent.

0 is transparent and 255 is totally opaque.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_compositing]Alpha compositing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

3. Default

Thanks Mark - I have already tried that option (and tried again after your post) but my titles are still showing in the preview window as white text on a solid black background and crucially, on top of my footage.

Any ideas?

4. Default

Anyone??? I'm really at a loss as to explain how to get round it!? :0)

Blog Entries

Just checking, you are dragging the text to a track ABOVE the video you want in the background, aren't you? (eg text on track 1, video on track 2).
    Tim

6. Default

Erm, no I'm not actually!! If that is correct and I'm doing it wrong that's pretty shocking. You know I'm a pretty intelligent guy, I've read a couple of Vegas manuals and am working my way through Douglas Spotted Eagle's book and no-where have I picked up that you should place text on the line above the footage.

I've even watched quite a few video tutorials and they appear to just click and drag the titler onto the video track and it automatically seems to sit on top of the video??

Confusing??!!

Blog Entries

I'm sure that'll sort you out (I even just tried dragging text onto the same track to confirm - and yes, I'm getting exactly what you were)

Make sure you use one of the text media with the checkerboard background (checkerboard = transparent)

Normally in Vegas when you want to show video from two or more events (clips, media) at the same ytime you place them on different tracks. The lowest number track has priority - anything not 100% opaque on that track will have the next lowest number track's contents show throught etc etc.

If you put one event on top of another on the same track the "top" event will be the one that shows.

The only reason that I can think of where one would place one event on top of another on one track is the very useful facility of "takes". You can place a number of different takes on the same place on the same track and swap between them to see which fits best
    Tim

8. Default

Many thanks for that Tim - I'm away from my office at the mo but will get that sorted tonight. Seems silly that such a basic thing can have slipped me by. I've had no formal training but I assume then that that means that Vegas works in a layer format with the top video track being the bottom layer and everything track beneath it is effectively placed on top of the previous layer? Is that what you mean by 'the lowest number track has priority'?

Thanks again for clearing that up ..

Blog Entries

Yes - unless you get into fancy compostiting with compositing child tracks then imagine the top track, the lowest number, as the front of the image with higher numbered tracks, lower on the timeline being further back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    Many thanks for that Tim - I'm away from my office at the mo but will get that sorted tonight. Seems silly that such a basic thing can have slipped me by. I've had no formal training but I assume then that that means that Vegas works in a layer format with the top video track being the bottom layer and everything track beneath it is effectively placed on top of the previous layer? Is that what you mean by 'the lowest number track has priority'?

Thanks again for clearing that up ..
    Other way round to what I think you think. Yes- its like layers.

Lowest track number = track 1 = top track on the timeline has priority.
    Highest track number = track "n" = bottom track on the timeline = everything will be covered by any tracks above (assuming no transparency intracks above)

From memory, this is the reverse to the way Pinnacle works.
    Tim