Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constructive Criticism?

Blog Entries

Default Constructive Criticism?

Given the rules of this forum, can we all please agree on what we mean by "Constructive Criticism"

Mark W, it appears from your other postings that you believe it means no negative comments or only positive comments, yes?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe it means criticism of any kind, positive or negative but backed up by some reasoning or advice.
    In other words:
    "Your film sucks" - is just negative criticism
    "Your film sucks because the camera work was shakey, the sound unintelligible" - is constructive criticism.

So I can totally understand people only wanting to receive constructive criticism, given my understanding.

And it does, after all, in the header for this forum state "By posting your work here you agree to have your work subject to constructive critism." so you can't really blame people for asking for it
    Tim

Hi Tim..

A interesting post, well I am at the point where I post videos up looking for any type of criticism and these days they just get passed through to the keeper, so if you get no comments or no criticism on a video what message is that sending out.

Its very much like the youtube enviroment where you may go and comment on several videos, if your eager you may even favorite them, but very few go back and see who laid down the comment, its very much suck it all up, but never blow back, sure I am guilty of all these crimes as well.

Maybe I have it all wrong, I usually do.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

The term "constructive criticism" was put in the title to warn posters that they may get negative comments. In the past teenagers would post awful BMX/Skateboarding videos and get out of their pram when it was pointed out that they were out of focus, wrong aperure etc.etc Whingeing "It's like really hard to focus, like, when you're skateboarding dude." followed by insults and pique.
    In the same way a lot of people didn't take into consideration that this is essentially a videomaking website and got upset when members commented on the camerawork, editing etc. and not the performance of the skateboarder.

So, it's a polite way of saying "If you post here and someone finds it crap, be prepared for them to tell you that it's crap".
    There are plenty of fan sites to post stuff if all they want is positive feedback.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    ..a lot of people didn't take into consideration that this is essentially a videomaking website..
    And that's the crux of it. One noteable example recently was vaiomaster. He posted a deadful (but 'hilarous' in his eyes) video (I almost shudder to describe it as such) of him prancing about in his room with his 'friend' loosley lip syncing to a song. Not even the 'performance' was worthy of a good word. So how can anyone critique that in a positive way?

Sorry, but if there's no redeeming qualities - no editing - no skill - no talent - and in his case no content worthy of a positive mention, it's going to get both barrels from me.

He resorted to calling us names when we didn't fall at his feet worshiping his effort. Am I bothered? No.

Blog Entries

I think that if anyone even takes the time to look at one of my videos and even if all they post is - ' I think it's crap ' or similar that I HAVE recieved constructive feedback.

It is constructive becuase my reaction is constructive. I would think must try harder.

I havent done a straw poll but those that type they want constructive criticism only are usually making egocentric drivel and posting here to get up thoer views on you tube.

I do try to not post slap down type comments as they are just likely to uspset people but if I think the video is ' crap ' I am not going to dress it up in a bow for a deluded teenager.

I dont see the problem personally so long ar the comments, even the sharp ones, refer to the film and are not ad hominem attacks - ' you smell ' .

Having said that I do like to be snide and visciously acerbic at times - usually only when the rope is given to me. Thats just me.

Franky I have issues - idiotic mooks with chips on thier shoulders who come here and post a film as tho they are doing us all a favour and that we should bow to thier genius annoy me.

Camcorders should be sold like guns - only people who qualify should be allowed to have one.

I dont want fawning feedback, it doesnt help. Criticsm with a page of reflection is a gift but if some of these fools think they are getting a reflective 100 words from me on crap they got the wrong guy.

However if someone posts without the ' arent I great tell me I am vibe ' they are likely to get my full attention and lots of help.

First post ( third now early posters cant link ) self appointed Spielbergs with no talent and no insight come to take not give - can anyone find a first post Spielberg who asks for cnstructive feedback who ever gives anyone else any ?

Many hardly ever even respond to genuinely kind and helpfull posts.

User vids seems to swing between dead nad swamped by mooks and fools - maybe if we are not careful we will get drowned in a sea of arrogant teenagers with no talent and too much lip - be too nice to too many too often and they will flock !

Havijng said all that I am aware I can go to far and promise to at least pause and reflect for - say - 2,7 seonds in future
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-17-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Following copied from the other thread whre this started as relevant to both.

I do sometimes wonder if I should have 2 log ins ' Zaskar ' and ' Mark W ' - it does conecrn me that posts that are very much ' me ' may be taken in a context that I am not creating - ie ' mod ' .

I am not going to be all middle class vicar just cos I am a mod and maybe that status means I should be? I couldnt do it.

I would rather not be a mod if that is the issue. I say that with totally zero ranchor or stress. I cant censor myself cos of my forum status. This is my fun time.

I do however recognise your chagrin but we are an eclectic lot. Disagreemants are a given.

Blog Entries

Mark, I don't disagree with most of what you say. And I must say you provide some of the best constructive criticism on the site (and you are always take criticism very well).

You seem to have missed my point that you attacked someone for asking for constructive criticism in a forum that exists and states it exists specifically for providing constructive criticism. That's why I thought maybe your understanding of the term differed from mine.

Of course once it becomes clear that by "constructive criticism" the poster mean "loads of praise" then we should all feel free to lay into them

Until that point, surely we should give them the benefit of the doubt

BTW I'm unclear why this post has been moved. I realise it's not a user vid but it dealt with the caption at the top of User Vids which is why it seemed the appropriate place to post it.

Actually I realise I, along with anyone else contrubuting to this thread, am just wasying bandwidth. The people likely to read this already know what's expected and the jerks who just want mindless praise never read anyone elses comments (or the "rules")
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ..You seem to have missed my point that you attacked someone for asking for constructive criticism in a forum that exists and states it exists specifically for providing constructive criticism...
    Yep. Actually, you may have a point there Tim. I missed it too, for what it's worth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Yep. Actually, you may have a point there Tim. I missed it too, for what it's worth.
    Probably cos I'm incapable of using just one sentence to make a point, but rather hide it in paragraphs of twaddle
    Tim

Blog Entries

Don't you just love semantics? Tim, you're correct, people are indeed entitled to ask for constructive critisism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast