Thread: Trimming clips in Movie Maker

Default Trimming clips in Movie Maker

Hi everyone,

I have just started making a movie on Windows Movie Maker for the first time and am experiencing problems trimming the clips.

The point is, I want to trim the first and last part of a video to use only the middle part in my project. When I trim those parts, the left over part which I want gets blurred and all messed up. I mean nothing is left clear as I want it to be.

So, can anyone help me on this so I can trim the video?

Thanks.

Ashgaara,

I don't use Movie Maker but tried trimming a clip in it for you. I split the clip and did'nt have a problem with bluriness.

what is the format of the video you're using and what are the specs of your machine?

It's Windows Media. .mpg.

Have you tried it exactly the way I did?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashgaara View Post
    Have you tried it exactly the way I did?
    No. I didn't use a wmv. i don't have one on my machine right now. It's not really my favorite format. try a different format and see if it makes a difference.

The clip I used was an mpeg

WMM is only 100% rock solid (ok, 96% at best!) when dealing with DV AVI and WMV files. You may be able to get other formats to load in and play, but trimming/splitting is where you'll encounter problems with codecs it doesn't get on with.
    Use the Super (c) freeware to convert to DV or WMV first, and WMM should be fine with those conversions.
    Until you do a complicated project which refuses to save, that is.......

You get what you pay for, with editing software!

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try them very soon.

If we split a clip and delete the first or second part, then does the remaining part get blurred and unclear with anyone?

Default Re:

I think you might have video rendering problems, if the video is WMV AVI or MPEG you are bound to have problems. Funnily enough, in the commercial world, especially cctv recordings, they don't use WMV AVI or even the new MPEG4, do you know why? Because it's unreliable, they actually use H.264 compression for IP megapixel cameras and they're actually somewhat better than average cameras. At 3.2 megapixels it makes AVI or MPEG look like a joke.

But there you go..

[quote=Callum_Standring;104767] they don't use WMV AVI or even the new MPEG4, do you know why? Because it's unreliable, they actually use H.264 compression

Actually, H.264 is MPEG4. MPEG-4 Part 10 to be exact. It is normally called H.264 or AVC. MPEG-4 is not a codec. It's a standard.

MPEG-4 Part 2 is not unreliable. The reason they are using MPEG-4 Part 10 (H.264) in closed circuit television is that it outputs MPEG-2 quality at less than half the data rate. This means a high quality picture with smaller file sizes.