Thread: Making a go-karting promo video

Arrow Making a go-karting promo video

So after a recent trip to a go-karting venue for a mates birthday I had the idea of asking them if they'd be happy for me to make a promo video for them. I'm doing it for free, for experience for myself (and some free time on the track) and they get a promo video at the end of it. Like an action short, movie style, you know.

Can anyone offer any advice on ways to shoot and camera settings etc. I have a mount for the camera to attach to the karts. We'll be staging manouvers in order to repeat with the camera attached to different karts etc. But I'm really concerned about the focus, it's not going to be possible to adjust when moving and I don't want to trust auto-focus.

I've got lots of ideas for other shots, I've borrowed a dolly / crane rig which should provide some cool fly-bys.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of shoot and could provide any handy tips?

I'm using a Sony A1-E.

Blog Entries

Sounds fun.

As for the focus - no problemo - those places are always well lit. I assume you can do this on that camera... Close the aperture right down - high f number - this gives a huge dof and the slower shutter speed will also give nice motion blurr.

As for free work - you loon - If I am biting off more than I can chew I always say that people can pay me if they are really happy with the work

A cheque is in the post right now for a kids party i did on that basis - I had never done a kids party befor. Cheque may be for a tenner or 200 - who knows - lols.
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-16-2009 at 06:56 PM.

If the shoot goes well I may suggest that, who knows. But I can hardly say, Hi you don't know me, let me make a vid for you you probably don't need and pay me.....meh

I'm happy to use it as experience (and free go-karting). Maybe next time with something similar I can suggest im worth being paid.

Ok, so low apature, high exposure. Gotcha.

This is next wednesday, I'm looking forward. Anyone live near Newport, I might need an extra pair of hands? hehe

This is really, really obvious but depending whether dirt or asphalt make sure you have a lens filter in front of your glass and you may consider a "coat" for your camera. Dirt tracks are, well... DIRTY and Asphalt tracks, the tires tend to kick up a lot of rubber or worse, the last time I went the volume of trash throwed into the air really surprised me.

It's in doors in a big warehouse. Partly concrete, partly wood (with some sort of coating on). This is the place.
    SupaKart Newport

Blog Entries

Free go karting is cool. I went to this place in cornwall last year, the karts were ridiculously fast and the health and safety was zero - ace.

Just to avoid confusion.

Shutter slow.
    Aperture stopped nearly closed, this means a high f number - like 11 - 16.

Not sure your intentions but I would give serious consideration to having some type of signed agreement. This would protect you and the customer. This perhaps would reinforce that fact that since you created the video, technically speaking, it belongs to you. At some future point, if the video is ???? you have some documentation stating how and where it could be used.

Since this a probono job, the go cart track could be led to believe its their video and they have total control of everything about it. I would also brand the video at the end, this would serve as some reinforcement for copyright and be some type of advertisement.

I know you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart but if a year down the road (provided anyone can survive that long it this economy) they decide to start selling ???? and your video is a part of that product. I would want a cut if they used my work to start making money. IE: Tires, Engines or what ever from a large company "could" (depending on what and how you do your work) potentially pay the go cart track a fee for showing their product or the track could sell off the video, who knows.

Just something to think about.
    Last edited by Gazelle; 01-17-2009 at 02:49 PM.

You make some good points, I think I'll do that. Doesn't have to be in depth, just to state although I'm providing a free service the copyright remains with me. And I reserve the right to be consulted if in future my work is used for any other purpose which would generate money (outside my original video which will be used for promotion and therefore revenue generating purposes anyway).

9. Default

I am not sure about filming video from a moving go-kart, because it'd be bumpy and all. Maybe use a tripod by the track and slowly move around and cut to some zoomed in scenes, also show the staff running it, and have them do the narration for it.