Thread: DVDs that don't play

Default DVDs that don't play

Does anyone have any advice on DVDs that won't play on some machines. Specifically, I have about ten home movies that play perfectly on a Philips 75 recorder and two different models of Cyberhome player. I am now trying to buy a player as a gift for someone who wants to watch the home movies.

I got a Limit DVD9900 from Richer Sounds, and that would only play two of them. I've swapped it for a Yamada DVD270, and that again plays the same two. I don't want to work through Richer Sounds' entire DVD stock before I find one that does the job. Is there something I can do to produce copies of these discs that all players will cope with?

They were made with Pinnacle Studio and put onto disc sometimes with Studio and sometimes with Nero.

I would indeed go through their entire stock. I get all my AV gear from Richer Sounds and on the few occasions I've wanted DVD players I always take a handfull of disks and they've always been happy to let me try them all out on the machines I'm interested in.

Blog Entries

Those wonderful people at www.videohelp.com have created a user database of exactly that!

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Thanks for the advice. videohelp.com doesn't have this particular model of Yamada, so no advance there. But I have narrowed the problem down to media rather than hardware, by trial and error, so now need to find a brand that doesn't give the Yamada indigestion.

It sticks in my mind a) that DVD-R is more compatible than other formats (but check it out: I'm old and various bits of me aren't what they were), and b) some makes of DVD have better compatibility than others. These people:

http://www.svp.co.uk/

have always been brilliantly helpful to me, and their prices and service are outstanding as well. I'd ask for their advice on compatibility of media.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

I've read this thread with interest as I I've been having similar problems. I recently authored a DVD-R using Magix Movie Edit Pro 2004 and have found that the end result DVD disc plays great on my new Sony DVD player.

However, after trying the disc on various other friends players I've found that on newer players there is no problem but on older machines (around 2-3 years old) the dialogue is out of sync and other dialogue/soundtrack disappears altogether. Visually everything is fine on the older players however.

I was thinking it was a hardware problem but could it be more to do with the type of disc I'm using? I'm using a brand called Datawrite. Should I be using a more well known brand? TDK, Phillips etc? Any help appreciated!

Cheers.

Blog Entries

I doesn't hurt to try different brands of media, but I don't think this would be the problem.

What bitrate did you use for the video and audio and how was the audio encoded?

I use Datawrite and have had no problem, so it may well be more of a '+' vs '-' issue... Only ever tried them on my 2 year old (3 year old?) LG DVD player.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...