Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera settings questions.

Blog Entries

Default Camera settings questions.

I have a professional camera but I am not a professional camera operator. This comes under the ' I bit off more than I vcan chew' cateogarie of question.

Someone recently contacted me though my web site to ask me about setting up the JVC DV500/1 series and I had no idea.

I have had the camera a year or more but only today have I looked in detail at the menus and options. Obviously the thing to do is experiment but I wanted to ask first in case many of these things are best not touched and / or are not applicable to me.

Frame mode? - some fake progressive scan ?
    Cine mode? - thru the finder looks like a whaccy gamma.
    Skin colour adjust ? - is that for racists ?? lols.
    Flare r and b ? - silly rock and roll dacing?
    Detail - shrpening in cam i presume.
    Detail v/h blanace?
    FAW ?
    Skin detail detect?

I found the gamma settings and will play there as I usually find myself upping gamma in post.
    There are a gamut of colour matrix settings but that sort of tweaking surely can be done in post just as well ?
    I aslo sussed black stretch and auto knee but usually forget to use them when neede - lols.

I hope someone much more expirienced than me will be able to advise ( Guru ?? ). The manual and google are contradictory and confusing about much of the above.
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-16-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Hi Mark - I'm always looking for ways to improve the look of shots and I guess it's a case of either softly, softly on each setting wired up to a monitor and then a test shoot, or leaving it at stock settings. I have reset my cam 5101 to give a look I'm happier with and will post them on Monday when I next get the cam out.
    Some settings I never bother with, though I'm sure they'd be effective in certain situations, but I never have time to fiddle much on a shoot.
    I use the WB presets most of the time and never FAW as this can get fooled.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Thanks - would apprecaite that.

FAW - just twigged after your above - full auto white balance.

When I am in the mood I will hook it up to a monitor an play - er - no I wont - I need to get a bnc lead beofr I can do that. Well I think its a bnc connector.

I think the cine mode tries to imitate the 'film look'

When i tried this on a sony a1 it looked like a slower shutter speed setting as it had more motion blur than without it activated.

Blog Entries

Frame mode/cine mode: No idea, must be a jvc term. The cine mode is probably a lowering of the gamma with stretched blacks, just a guess.

Detail: Yup. Edge sharpening.
    Skin Colour Adjust: The camera can detect skin tones and then change them slightly. Sometimes used to add a bit of tan. Use very carefully it can look a bit wierd. It can also affect other areas!
    Skin Detail: A digital promist filter which works on flesh tones. Can be useful but.... The camera detects areas of skin tone and adds a bit of blur. In effect smoothing out the little blemishes and bumps. Again, use carefully.
    Flare, r & b, I assume that this is a blue and red flare control.
    FAW: Full Auto White.

Detail V/H balance. At a guess it adjusts the vertical and horizontal parameters for the detail setting.

Blog Entries

Many thanfulnesses.

Most of those I will avoid.
    I like bumps and blemishes on skin - well not mine, but i wouldnt want the camera removing them.

I am going to play with the shaprening, be cool if it adds a bit sharp without any noise penalty.

Flare too - gonna play as I cant imagine what that is either.

Blog Entries

JVC Professional Technical Discription page

Found an old spec page - frame does indeed appear to be progressive.

Mark I have the JVC 5000 and use on constant basis, the 500 is like the 5000 but only takes min-dv TAPES, I have the manual and a hints and tips on setting it up.

If you mail me I can send you both items.

It is a BNC output but if you have an adapter that should solve it.

Skin tone and detect is so that you ca get the face to look OK and use the zebras to detect it and get the right aperture set up correctly.

Blog Entries

pm sent.....

I'll sort that out for you Mark

See here for where I got the original info from and collated t

Camcorderinfo.com Message Board - JVC GY-DV300 and JY-DV5000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast