Thread: My PC won't see my camcorder

Question My PC won't see my camcorder

strangely although I've worked in the TV/video profession for a few years and am familiar with Final Cut Pro and Avid, I am just starting editing training proper and am struggling with the brave new world of setting up from scratch on my home PC so I can practice on home videos!

I have a Canon MV890 and I have been trying to capture using Adobe Premier Elements 4.0, at this stage through the camera's supplied RCA to USB 2.0 cable as I haven't got a firewire yet. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Sony Vaio.

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me where I am going wrong so far as my PC won't see my camcorder, giving the message 'device offline'. This cable/camera combo has worked fine before on my friend's PC, using Windows Moviemaker on Windows XP. But on mine the Canon MV890's installation disc does not seem to have the driver required by my PC, and I can't find one online either.

Is there a compatibility issue here somewhere between Vista and/or Sony and Canon? Or am I just being a total novice with my consumer kit?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries

You really have to forget the connection method you're attempting. A firewire card is so cheap these days - go and buy one, get it installed and I'm 100% sure all your woes will vanish instantly...

Peterborough, Ontario

I remember playing with Adobe Premiere once, and I don't believe it has any USB support.

Thanks for your advice, the next day I got hold of a firewire, tried that instead of USB and wouldn't you know...all fine!

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Never use the usb coneection on any DV camera ever - not even at the end of recorded time.
    USB is NOT for video transfer.