Thread: Need camera advice

Question Need camera advice

I want to have two cameras to shoot scenes from multiple angles and cut/paste them together with unbroken synced audio recorded separately. Right now I have a Canon ZR900 and an Aiptek A-HD (don't laugh it produces better looking video than the ZR900 when I have good light that matches one of its preset white balance settings).

The Aiptek is pretty limited in terms of configuration. They can both do 16:9 but the ZR900 does anamorphic 16:9 at 720x480 and I believe the Aiptek does it at some other higher resolution with "square" pixels. They also produce video in different formats, DV vs. AVCHD/h.264.

(Side note: the Aiptek has terrible low light performance)

I'd like to have two cameras that produce video in the same compression format, resolution and pixel aspect ratio, etc.

I've got a couple options. I could get a Canon ZR800 for US $180 (inexpensive, yay!), another ZR900 for about $220, or a used Canon GL1 for $550 from a coworker.

OR if I'm going to spend $550 on a GL1 I could just spend a couple hundred dollars more and get an HD camera.

I do all my editing right now on a dual core laptop with 2.5G of ram and a 120GB solid state drive. The drive is fast but obviously doesn't have a lot of extra space for editing decompressed HD footage.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

-Sasha
    Super Cheap - Canon ZR900, Aiptek A-HD, Premiere Pro CS4, Avidemux, VirtualDub, Audacity, GIMP

Super Cheap - Canon ZR900, Aiptek A-HD, Premiere Pro CS4, Avidemux, VirtualDub, Audacity, GIMP