Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TMR Media - 5/1/09

Default TMR Media - 5/1/09

This is a video that I filmed a lot of and edited, it's a video of a free running team that I belong to, named TMR Media. This was made in one day, it's just of what we got up to.

YouTube - TMR Media - 5/1/09

Constructive criticism is ever so welcome.

Thanks, enjoy!

Blog Entries

If you only want constructive criticism I suggest you show your mum.
    All criticism is helpful to the open minded and wise.
    Asking for only constructive criticism is tantamount to only asking for praise.

Sorry but I am bored of people asking for constructive criticism and generally ignore threads started like that cos those are the people who are likely to throw a paddy when we dont all go ' ooooooo arent you clever'

But dont despair most regulars are nicer than me.
    It would be nice if more people gave as well as took in this section... I make a general observation there - not directed at you.
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-15-2009 at 06:22 PM.

I was being serious asking for constructive criticism, I've only recently started serious video making recently

Blog Entries

I think you missed my point - the manner in which one choses to accept any critcism is where it becomes constructive.

I promise to watch your film tomorrow - too grupmy now - as you can tell.

Blog Entries

My observation? Throw that fisheye lens in the bin, then watch THIS to see how a video of that activity can be made to be interesting.

Full marks I guess for having ago, but after you've watched the other film and genuinely compared the two, you'll see where the differences lie.

That video is very impressive, and yes it is free running. But that was a documentary, and my video was just basically of a single training day. They are two different styles. The reason this video was made was for fun, just really to add more to our channel. But yerh, I do know now that we overused the fisheye lol.

My strongest advice is to dump that fisheye lens..get over it.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Fair enough.

Has anyone got comments for my actual video?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MadMatty08 View Post
    Has anyone got comments for my actual video?
    I've given mine, has also Mark W (eventually) and Rollingstock too. Three comments all telling you that the fisheye lens has to go. Other advice? Buy a tripod.

If you're looking for comments as to how cool the stunts are, that won't happen here. We're all videomakers that give honest opinions and advice on how to improve if neccesary. Your's needs considerable improvement.

Blog Entries

Ok. Here is my criticism.

There is one area where all autuers, including me fail often, and so have you. Content is often said to be king but if content is king then his powerful and influential Queen is Quality - boring techinical quality.

I think a good rule is to always do the best you can and make no assumptions that the brilliance of your content means quality matters less - unless it's somthing like Elvis wrestling with Osama bin Laden.

As composed and taking note of the music your video I see this video as showing contrasting the harsh urban landscape with the grace of the sport.

What I see is a formulaic spoof of crap skater vids.

It's hard to get beyond the lens problem.

Its the wrong lens for the camera as shown by the unacceptable level of vingnetting, chromatic abberation ( really bad ) and unfocussed edges ( the cool word escapes me ). If you must use a lens the vingnettes turn OFF the anti shake as with it on the vingnette moves and it looks odd. Bijn that lens and get one that fits works better and costs more than 20.00.

Films trading on thier looks really benefit from a tripod.

A wide lens is best use for close work where the subject is large in frame or when unavoidable like in small rooms. Your film is only wide shots amking your use appear slavish and ill considored.

Now moving on past the lens problem - the shots.

Why are they all long shots or med long ? There is no narrative or flow to the editing really, you have not created any suspense or drama and I am sure it was there. Perhpas not your intention but I would have done that.

SO a few random suggestions for improvement.

Throw the lens away.
    Get a tripod. ( but still mix in h held action shots.)
    Shoot close ups with the wide shots.
    Use some contextual sound.
    Compose the shots - you dont appear to have done this at all.
    Bin the whole project and redo focussing on the sweat, the danger, the injuries, the exciteent, the danger, the people.

The exposure was wonky to on lots of shots - for work that trades on it's looks that really matters. DOnt use auto exposure and set exposure for interesting bits of the frame, not the sky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast