Thread: Ideal Camera for Amateur Filmmaker

Default Ideal Camera for Amateur Filmmaker

Hi first off, this is my first post.

Secondly, I want to get into amateur filmmaking and have done for a long time. Short narratives and music videos I can but on my website. And I want a decent camera obviously. Something that would be good enough quality to enter to a film festival. My budget is about 1300 maybe a little over. What do you guys think would be a good camera for that budget?

I was looking at the Canon DM-XM2?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Always worth checking Creative Video's secondhand section for bargains... but patience is a virtue. There's a nice JVC on there at the moment, well inside your budget, but it's 4.3 only.

Blog Entries

I think the technical quality of your camera is not something that greatly infuences people - content does.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I think the technical quality of your camera is not something that greatly infuences people - content does.
    True enough. But - wanting the best in budget does greatly influence the purchaser. And rightly so. Nothing wrong with aspiring to buying the best one can afford.

Blog Entries

^^^ Oh for sure. I like to have the nicest camera I can afford as it is my tool so to speak. It's also a statement to myself sort of and I find it makes me up my game in general.

Thanks guys for the advice I shall check that out. In general, which do you think is the best camcorder manufacturer? And what do you think about the Canon DM-XM2 (that's the PAL version btw)?

EDIT: Also can I add that the frame progression (24/25p) is very important so I need a camera with that as it will be used for almost entirely cinematic purposes.
    Last edited by markoos; 01-16-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Blog Entries

Lols - you just pushed a button of mine.

Progressive footage is not cinematic it is progressive video and it is not anything like film. Interalced vidseo has uses as does progressive but niether look like film.

The ONLY people who think progressive can add anything like a cinematic feel are film school tossers.

It is the lighting and shot choice and direction and editing that adds a cinematic feel - no shortcuts.

The progressive mode on the xm is not true progressive - it looks poor to me - looses resoloution to my eye.

Forget progressive. If you must do progressive just deinteralce in post. Dont limit your choice of camera. And like I said a good progressive cam is hard to find.

Hi Markoos,

Now, before I say any more, I am not a technical person and absoloutely not an expert in this field, far from it! I have, however, recently purchased a canon XM2. I have videoed many weddings for friends etc on a regular old sony camcorder and decided I wanted to make things more professional.

What I can say is I have been very impressed with the XM2. The quality, in my opinion, is superb and the colour replication fantastic. Like I say, I am not technical, but I quickly learned most of the functions on the XM2 and find it very easy to use. The controls/buttons are in easy to reach places and all in all its a pleasure to use.

One thing I have done is purchased an external mic, as thats the one criticism you'll find of this camera is that the built in mic picks up a lot of camera noise, which it does. I was recommended the Audio technica AT897 mic which I think was about 160, but gives far superior sound than the on board mic.

I purchased this camera based on loads of reviews and advice from this board. I don' think you'd be disappointe with this camera, and you can get some 2nd hand bargains, although I always prefer to spend the extra 's and get a brand spanking new one, but thats just me!

As far as your needs for certain frame progression, i don't know what that means so I am not going to comment, but I am sure people on this board will be able to advise you.

Cheers

C

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Lols - you just pushed a button of mine.

Progressive footage is not cinematic it is progressive video and it is not anything like film. Interalced vidseo has uses as does progressive but niether look like film.

The ONLY people who think progressive can add anything like a cinematic feel are film school tossers.

It is the lighting and shot choice and direction and editing that adds a cinematic feel - no shortcuts.

The progressive mode on the xm is not true progressive - it looks poor to me - looses resoloution to my eye.

Forget progressive. If you must do progressive just deinteralce in post. Dont limit your choice of camera. And like I said a good progressive cam is hard to find.
    First off, thanks for your advice caline. And yours, Mark W. Sorry to push your buttons. I realise that you can't just push a button and you've got a ridley scott shot on your hands and I do experiment with lighting and post production colour correction etc. to get it but the progressive must at least help, no?