Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your inspiration?

Blog Entries

Default What's your inspiration?

I hate to state the bleeding obvious, but much of my inspiration grows from other people's work. I must admit to being rather lame when it comes to innovation; any style I've developed is largely through absorption of work of greater artistes than myself. It should therefore come as no surprise that a rekindled love afair with 'watching' film has come at the same time as a reignited passion for making video.

But what came first? Was is the time watching spurring me to film and edit? Or is my time editing craving me to watch more? Do I watch a film and see into the mind of the creators, or do I ask myself how I would have achieved the same? Honestly? I'm merely a student. I couldn't possibly achieve the mastery of film that I see so readily available. I'm happy to sit back and be inspired. Happy in the knowledge that I am inspired.

So what about you? Are you inspired. Do you aspire to be great? Or do you feel inspired? Me? I'm merely expired.

Blog Entries

I too suffer from a lack of innovation. I watched Mark W's 'Winter in the Park' film and admired not just the photography by even more by the fact he got up early, went out and filmed it. I just don't have that inspiration, which is why I rely on my subjects to do the 'creative' bit, feed off that and present them in the best way I can. I think I do that well enough, but I'd love to have that spark that prompts all those innovative filmakers. Full marks to them I say.

I guess we're all standing on someone elses shoulders when it comes to inspiration.
    When I started producing wedding videos,I purposely avoided seeing other wedding videos to try to produce something 'really' original and get away from tired formats.
    Having achieved what I thought was an ideal style, I realised a lot of my filming style had all been done before, decades ago by the likes of Leni Reifenstahl, the German filmmaker, Alfred Hitchcock and many more.
    We absorb so much over the years and when the creative button needs pressing, all the concious and sub concious memories come into play and out all this stuff comes.
    Modern producers, despite the CGI, still manage breathtaking and original imagery. One I watched and was very impressed with recently, which is probably a few years old and a subject matter that was of no great interest, was 'Walk the line', the Johnny Cash story.
    The opening scene is a dark and distant shot of Folsom prison with the title track playing very quietly. The camera zooms in very, very slowly as the music gets louder and louder, until the camera is eventually inside the prison and the song is at a peak.
    Now this effect may do nothing for most people, but I would dearly like to open a wedding video using the same technique - Very wide shot of a Church
    with a great hymm playing softly etc, etc. Then a flashback to the Bride/Groom preps using the same hymm as the soundtrack, until the final verse when we're back in the Church as the Hymm closes and the start of the wedding vows.
    Well . . . bit of a ramble there guys, but see what a good topic does to the brain cells - Inspiration!
    p.s. Anyone thinking of using this technique on a wedding video - remember where the technique came from - Jonny Cash
    The loose change that waits till pub closing time.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Inspiration, enthusiam, vision and ideas - shame you cant buy them in Tesco.
    If you dont have that you dont have anything.

Making films for me is a very persoanal thing. I am currently contentadly single and have no dependants so I have lots of love to give - and some of it goes the film making way. I am often suprised at how passionate I can get. One of my favourite moments is when you first start to edit a film you have planned - it's all in your head and then it slowly is ' born ' as you click click click.

I know why.

I started making films in autumn 2003. Early autumn I wasnt making anything. I was in hospital surrounded by machines that went ping and couldnt walk. I was told I would ' probably ' get 100% better but only if i kept really active.

I shuffled out of hospital and got the cheapest DV camera in the shop. Almost every day I dragged myself out the house and filmed stuff and edit it. Physically active and mentally active and creative.

After six months I could chase girls again. So in a way film making rescued my life.

On a more prosaic level people inspire me. Wihout feedbackI wouldnt make a thing, without apllause i would give up, and without the help and support of friends lots of stuff wouldnt get made.

Our local independant cinema inspires me. One a month, turn up, and all the films go into a box and get shown is a sizeable cinema with up to 200 in the audience. Every film maker should strive to expirience this - it's scary but exciting.

In all honesty I also have to say that my local near celbrity stauts inspires me - I love it when people locally connect me with my films - once a girl even rushed up to me in town and said ' are you zaskar who makes films' .

I cant draw or sing, I cant play anything, I am crap at sport I cant even yoyo really. Film making is one of the few creative things I can do. I think to be truly happy everyone needs to be a creative somehow.
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-15-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    ..I am currently contentedly single and have no dependants so I have lots of love to give...
    This might be part of my 'problem'.

I spend so much time in my studio editing paid work (and smoking fags and drinking coffee), my wife rarely sees me anyway. Adding to that by producing my own independant work would further exacerbate the situation. I feel guilty enough without adding to it...

I do have a few (very few) ideas I'd like to pusue but they all involve time.

Nice to read of the man behind the moves Mark.
    We love the applause too and I guess that is a big part of the buzz we all get.
    When clients go to the trouble to send us TY cards and pressies, you've touched their soul. Feedback is critical.
    It hurts when we 1st start with the crummy stuff, cause we can't acknowledge the pain of failure, or recognise the stuttering nucleus of an idea.
    But we learn . . . God knows we learn, and when you stop learning it's over.
    Crikey, must be my philosiphical day today.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Marc I do get lots of inspiration from these forums, especially Mark W work, but don't tell him.

You won't like this, I basically put away all my video stuff 8 years ago, completely stopped making little videos, the only thing which has me back on the scene is that snowball of crap called youtube, that has me producing and inspired me to pick up my camera again.

I do not want to see the whole thing end up as vloggers paradise, thatís my call to anyone who can craft a video get it amongst the dross.

Thinking back to films and TV which have had a lasting inspiration for me anything Alfred Hitchcock (Grace Kelly in Rear Window), all Gerry Anderson / Silvia Anderson productions, any good BBC drama just love the way the British do their drama, actor Paul Darrow, boy you would
    think I lived in England.

Also the US film The Deer Hunter (1978 ) the UK film Full Metal Jacket (1987) the Vietnamese/US film Ba Mua (Three Seasons) 1999, these
    three films to me could be run back to back and give you a complete new insight into the Vietnamese / American conflict. You could also throw in the US film The Quiet American (2002) this film was almost totally canned and had a two-year delayed release due to the 9/11 attacks, these films as a group have had huge inspiration in film making and story telling for me.

Of more recent media I would have to say the film The Matrix (1999), although I was very close to the bone on that, I fell it will stand the test of time and inspire many in the future.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Often the last film i watched.

I have just been profoundly disturbed by The Teneant dir and starring Polanski ( Europpean director so fashioable to omit fist name - lols )

Aside from being porfoundly distrubed the music was cleverly understated and in most scenes we only got music when something in the scene was playing it.

I am inspired to copy.

Probably the same reason I like Schindlers List Mark.
    A haunting violin intersperses this tragic film. Which, despite no family connections to this period, I unashamedly cry like a baby whilst watching.
    Adding melancholy jewish rhythyms and melodies to scenes, lifts and drops the emotions without the viewer realising their ultra significant impact.
    Very well thought through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I cant draw or sing, I cant play anything, I am crap at sport I cant even yoyo really. Film making is one of the few creative things I can do. I think to be truly happy everyone needs to be a creative somehow.
    I resemble that remark. I can identify with this. God has placed in each of us the creative drive. Some find their creative outlet, others don't. Those of us who have are the truly fortunate folks. When my creative drive kicks in, the hours fly by like minutes. I don't want to be doing anything else. When the project is completed, there is a "hole" left that mourns for the loss. Not until I find a new project am I really happy again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast