Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Clips Appear Black

Default Video Clips Appear Black

I am using Sony Vegas 6.0 and am creating a football highlights DVD with music and text. My problem is that when I open the project, someof my video clips appear as black boxes in the timeline and in the preview pane. I do not get a "media offline" message and the video clips that are black seem to change every time I open the project; sometimes in the beginning of the timeline, and other times towards the end. I am not very proficient in video editing, but am a quick study and have basically learned from just trying out, but perhaps I did something I should not have. Any ideas?

Blog Entries

I bet the source files are divx. Am I right ? If so divx files often do this - they are not meant to be edited - divx is a delivery codec. These problems are common.

How do I know if the source file is divx? I use a Sony handycam HD video camera. As far as the editing goes, all I've done is just shorten the video clips either in the beginning, the end or both. Do you have a solution?

Blog Entries

The files are from a cmera so they are not divx - that was the easy answer. Hmmm.... ( pondering for a bit ).

I've read in the forum about soloed (sp?) events, so I'm anxious to go home and check to see if I've accidentally done this. Please let me know if you can think of another reason this is happening. One of our football players needs this hightlights video for a prospective University that is recruiting him, so it is rather imperative that I be able to complete the project.

Blog Entries

Ok - tomorrow - tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Ziehler View Post
    I am using Sony Vegas 6.0 and am creating a football highlights DVD with music and text. My problem is that when I open the project, someof my video clips appear as black boxes in the timeline and in the preview pane. I do not get a "media offline" message and the video clips that are black seem to change every time I open the project; sometimes in the beginning of the timeline, and other times towards the end. I am not very proficient in video editing, but am a quick study and have basically learned from just trying out, but perhaps I did something I should not have. Any ideas?
    Usually video clips either work in your application or they don't. their properties don't change every time you open a project. If it was me, I'd completely uninstall vegas, reboot and do a clean install.

Just make sure your saved project isn't in the Vegas folder.

I keep all of my video projects in My Documents under My Videos and my media for the project is kept in a separate folder on my desktop. I've worked so hard on the project I hate to dump it and start all over again. Could it be the size of my project? It is fairly large, however I have read that Vegas is capable of creating a movie-length project.
    Thanks!

By uninstalling vegas and reinstalling it, you won't lose your project. your problem may lie in the way sony is reading the path of your files. The best way to fix that is a clean install. Just a suggestion.

how big is this project? If it's huge, is it possible you're not letting all the clips load at startup?
    Last edited by Flickson; 01-13-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast