Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple but important question

Default Simple but important question

I recently made a video in sony vegas 8 only to find out that when i rendered it there was only audio and titles no video. I solved the problem by downloading Super C an audio/video converter and coverting the files to DIVX. I then render tested a small clip and saw it worked. All is good except for the fact that the files that are in my video are all xvid codec. Im wondering if there is anyway to keep all the same places marks/cuts/markers/ etc that i did on my xvid codec files on my divx movies. I really do not want to make the video all over again. Any help would be appreciated. Assuming the videos are the same length and showing the exact same thing.

Aswell my 15 min vid came out to be about 40 gigs. Im wondering what i can do to make that smaller. (Starterd with humungous fraps files then used virtual dub converted them do xvid and made them alot smaller and then rendered the compiled clips with sony vegas -> 40 gigs 'the movie without the video' ) doesnt seem right or maybe there is some thing you do to make the video drastically smaller?

i forgot to mention it was the video files i converted to divx from xvid. any help would be appreciated

3. Default

I would think that if you would download the Xvid code here:Download the XviD Codec - XviD Movies that you could probably use your xvid files on the Vegas timeline and not have to be changing file formats.
    BTW how large were your original files. 40G sounds awfully large for just 15 minutes of video.

most of my fraps files came out to be a few gigs but were all less then that after they were compressed to xvid codec with virtual dub. they were like 100 megs some bigger some smaller about 80 megs for 1 min. so i had some bigger tho some smaller. yeah im confused the most about the file size. thx for the help.

btw i tried dling that file even tho i think i already had and it didnt make a differnece still need help on this question

Blog Entries

It may just be my pc and my vegas but i ahve the xvid codec and I still cant open x vids in vegas.

As ofr the file sizes - set a lower bit rate in super c. Or cature to a codec vegas can use - surely this frap thing can do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    It may just be my pc and my vegas but i ahve the xvid codec and I still cant open x vids in vegas.

As ofr the file sizes - set a lower bit rate in super c. Or cature to a codec vegas can use - surely this frap thing can do that?
    Mark W - media files contain a fourcc code that tells your computer which codec to use for that file. Download a fourcc changer and change the code from Xvid to DivX. Because they are the same format, your editing program will use it as a DivX.

well the fraps files were near a few hundred megs after they were used in virtual dub which im not sure if thats a normal size or not. The Four cc changer thing sounds like it will work but do i change my compressed video files or do i change something else with the changer

because i still have a 40 gig final video size that i need to change because i cant upload that anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Acedna View Post
    well the fraps files were near a few hundred megs after they were used in virtual dub which im not sure if thats a normal size or not. The Four cc changer thing sounds like it will work but do i change my compressed video files or do i change something else with the changer
    Frap files are big files. I think about 5 gb for a couple of mins.

Xvid can compress files 200:1.

You can't change the FourCc code of a frap to XviD and make it work. The only reason you can do that with an DivX file is because they are basically the same format.That is, they are interchangable codecs.

you should be getting smaller xvid files from your fraps with VirtualDub. It may well have something to do with your audio stream.

I'm not a gamer so I looked up this guide for you. it uses VirtualDub. Looks to me what you want
    Shrink your Fraps files

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

Mark W,

I have no problem editing Xvid in Vegas Pro (8.0). I'm not exactly sure why I can and you can't, but I have an idea.

Download the newest XviD codec at their website. be sure to download the windows installer. make your current Xvid codec go away off your machine. when you use the windows installer make sure the box is checked that says (something like this) "use all supported FourCCs - divX, etc..

that's the only thing I can think of that I might have done different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast