Thread: Double Vision

Default Double Vision

Well, im off away for a week, filming for a mate in Snowdonia, so no internet access!!

Just thought id post this video. People are probably gonna think im overdoing the split screen a bit lol. but basically, the video's i have made over the last 1-2 years have all kind of led up to the video i posted a couple of weeks ago (the "breakup scene" video) i think after ive finished that, its time to let go of the picture-in-picture tool haha.

This video here is very very experimental. I made it for a university assignment. It didnt quite work out exactly how i planned. Its kind of marmite really. some like some dont. I had fun making it though

YouTube - double vision
    Last edited by J Fish; 01-11-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Totally loved it.
    Faved and a nom from me for next moths votm if i remember ! Brown eyes are my fav too.

Yeah, loved it

Blog Entries

As I think I said in a previous post, it's good to see someone working in the medium of video and its possibilities without going overboard. It's probably simple, but you've got me stumped - how did you do the opposing panoramic shots so they started and ended so well matched? Just a VERY stable tripod?
    Tim

Blog Entries

^^^ I started trying to work it out but I found it did funny things to my brain trying so I stopeed - really a superb effect.

I suspect it is a ciruclar pan mirrored but my head is hurting again so I goota stop thinking about it - I am sure there is more to it than that.

I may have a go at emulating - if my head doesnt explode trying.

well, im back from a disaterous week in snowdon. didnt get any filming done due to bad weather lol.

Thanks for the feedback. glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It's probably simple, but you've got me stumped - how did you do the opposing panoramic shots so they started and ended so well matched? Just a VERY stable tripod?
    lol yes i get a lot of people asking how i did it. basically i saw it done on a film, but i cant for the life of me remember what film it was. anyway, i wanted to replicate the shot, so after a lot of thinking and then a lot more thinking lol i figured out a way to do it.

its fairly simple.

1. have the camera on a tripod facing my eyes (very stirdy tripod)
    2.pan round 360 to the left
    3.pan round 360 to the right.
    4.film still shot on my eyes
    5.film still shot on the landscape (exactly opposite from the eyes)
    6.in post, crop and scale the two panning shots so they are each quater of the screen
    7. use pic in pic to match up the end of the pan shots with the still shot of the landscape.
    8.when the two pan shots are about to meet in the middle, cut to the static shot so that it looks like they meet.

well i just read that back and it is hard to explain so that might not make sense at all.

It is kinda simple. To make it work, most of the time was spent in post production getting the frames to match up.

hope this helps.

John
    Last edited by J Fish; 01-16-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Blog Entries

I can't watch again where I am at the moment. Thanks for the info - I'm delighted that your method was pretty much what I'd worked out (or perhaps I'd be even happier if you'd come up with an entirely different method - a variety of ways to skin a cat is always useful).
    I *think* I may have a supplementary, but I need to look again.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Ta for the explanation - I grok it and will shamelessly pimp that effect sometime - a good trick for pop video type stuff.

Great stuff as usual J Fish. Loved it!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

lovely stuff, clever, simple and effective.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo