Thread: Help For a beginner

1. Default Help For a beginner

Hi is there anyone out there on these forums that would be willing to give a total newbie advice on a PM basis. Basically i brought a camera about 6 months ago for my wedding and holiday to Florida, and now have about 4 hrs of fotage that i want to edit and copy to DVD.

So what i am asking is there someone with experience that could guide me through all of the above.

Thanks in advance
    Neil

2. Default

20 Views no takers, there must be someone really clued up wanting to help?

Blog Entries

I doubt it tbh.

Have you got an editor - probably - part of xp / vista - have you tried it yet ?

Hi Neil,
    Ok, send me an email and I can at least take a look at where you are and advise on where to go!

Blog Entries

^^^ That is very kind but if such support is offfered publicly on the forum many may benefit - after xmas time many will be having simialr challenges.

Actually Neil, MarkW is absolutely right there. The strength of forums such as this is the steady accumulation of experience that is openly shared for all to benefit from.

So. let's do it in public!

First, you have 4hrs of video.
    What is the format of the video your camcorder produces?
    Please provide the Camcorder make and model and the type of recording media.
    Do you have any video editing software now?
    Are you willing to purchase video editing software?

We need to know what you have first so as to provide guidance on how to proceed.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lancecarr View Post
    Actually Neil, MarkW is absolutely right there. The strength of forums such as this is the steady accumulation of experience that is openly shared for all to benefit from.

So. let's do it in public!

First, you have 4hrs of video.
    What is the format of the video your camcorder produces?
    Please provide the Camcorder make and model and the type of recording media.
    Do you have any video editing software now?
    Are you willing to purchase video editing software?

We need to know what you have first so as to provide guidance on how to proceed.

Ok guys

I dont know what format the camcorder produces, i did say i was inexperienced.

The camcorder is a panasonic sdr h40.

I have the editing software provided with the camcorder, i also have windows movie maker and mpeg video wizard.

I am willing to purchase software if i know it will guarentee cure my problem.

I hope this gives u somthing to start on, thanks for the help.

Blog Entries

There are no garuntess in ths game - too many variables.

Hdrive cameras are being increasingly mis sold to people in my view. They are the least noob friendly and can be a right fiddle.

I believe that the newest version of vegas movie studo works well with cameras such as this. Check with sony.

Trial - Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Movie Studio

Hi punchy,
    Sorry for the delay in answering.
    Your cam records MPEG2 video files on to a hard drive in the cam.
    In order for you to edit those files you need to transfer the files on to your computer.
    You do that by connecting the USB cable provided in the box to the cam and the computer.
    Then use the software provided to import the MPEG2 files into a folder on your computer.
    You then need to read the instructions of the software provided and learn how to edit it all together.
    You have everything you need. Just read the manuals and help files and get started. If you then run into trouble come back here.

The style of video editing you will be doing is called "non-destructive" editing. That means the original files you bring on to the computer are never touched so this is a very safe process.