Thread: The Games Brothers: YouTube channel

Default The Games Brothers: YouTube channel

Hi all,

Im a newbie, so go easy on me and my friends work.

We've been making videos like this for years as a hobby and put it on the internet after we saw some of the 'Angry Video Game Nerds' stuff. (obviously we'd prefer not to be compared to this guy)

After investing in Sony Vegas Pro, we can now make some good videos and the 2009 filming has begun.

If I can be picky about the criticism we recieve, can you please point out ways we can improve? Or your opinions on camera angles and lighting; this has been the source of much debate between us.

I hope we dont get too much negative criticism, 2008 was plagued with technical problems and we spent too much money on getting things fixed.

Im the guy with the longer hair by the way.

The Trailer - YouTube - YouTube - 2009 Trailer - The Games Brothers
    (Watch in High Quality if possible)

Regards
    James
    Last edited by RhysJamesIT; 01-11-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Blog Entries

The only truly valuable criticism is negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    The only truly valuable criticism is negative.
    Fair comment.
    Im all for some negative criticism I suppose. Just not TOO much of it. Im already stressed

I agree with you though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RhysJamesIT View Post
    If I can be picky about the criticism we recieve, can you please point out ways we can improve? Or your opinions on camera angles and lighting; this has been the source of much debate between us.

I hope we dont get too much negative criticism, 2008 was plagued with technical problems and we spent too much money on getting things fixed.
    These are contrary wishes. If something can be improved it is by definition not as good as it might be and therefore criticism of it will be negative.

Negative critisism is GOOD. So long as it is constructive negative criticism, it's the best way to learn.

Real life examples (my cristicisms of your trailer):

Negative (but not constructive): Your film sucks.
    Not gonna learn a lot from that, are you.

Negative (but constructive): "Now me and Rhys hope you enjoy this trailer..."
    No, No, No! It's "Rhys and I hope...." Bad grammar.

You may not think it's important - wrong. It shows a lack of respect for your audience (even if its only that part of your audience that care about such things). If you don't show respect for them, why should they show respect for your film
    On the other hand, you may be doing this deliberately, for effect. In which case fine. But the point is at least you need to know this in order to make an informed decision.

I'm totally unclear who this is aimed at. It started of well enough and looked like it was going to be a documentary and/or review of various video games, but then deteriorated into loads and loads of footage of the games themselves without any commentary at all.

What's the purpose? What are you tring to tell us? What are you trying to sell us? Are you trying to make us laugh?

I think you guys have character, but from the evidence supplied so far, I don't see you have a film/video let alone a series.

(See that's all negative, but, I hope, constructive)
    Tim

Well, I take criticism quite well so thats okay.

We have had discussions on our grammar and how we should be addressing our audience, but since we don't target any particular age group or have a particular audience, we just try to act more casual and informal than formal, as you said, for effect.

Our film probably does suck, but for a 16 and 15 year old on a budget the size of walnut, I think theyre pretty good, it feels great to actually have a finished product which people can enjoy watching.

I will agree with you that this trailer was a bit of a mess. But we've had problems with capturing footage, therefore, it was slightly rushed. To be honest, a voiceover of the game footage hadn't occured to us at the time of creating this video, which is odd because our other videos do include voiceovers.

In regards to your confusion as to what the material will be about. We just work up an itinerary for the year and work through. Videos vary from walkthroughs and guides to full reviews of either games, consoles or peripherals and accessories. We tend to diversify. My intentions of the random game footage was to imply the appearance of a variety of games throughout the year. However, I agree, a voiceover would have been useful. Ive always felt that this part of the trailer was boring.

You may want to take a look at some of our older stuff, they're a little more arranged, although these videos are much more amateurish (ie No tripod etc):
    http://uk.youtube.com/user/MarioBrothersOnline/

Im pleased that I have recieved this criticism from you, and I thank you. Its very constructive and actually will help us improve. Its so much better to have that sort of criticism other than "You guys suck at life."

Kind Regards
    Rhys
    Last edited by RhysJamesIT; 01-11-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RhysJamesIT View Post
    Videos vary from walkthroughs and guides to full reviews of either games, consoles or peripherals and accessories. We tend to diversify.
    This is exactly what your trailer should say, then! That's what a trailer is meant to do

As for the grammar, if you don't target any particular group, then informal/casual is good, but incorrect is bad.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-11-2009 at 09:42 PM.
    Tim

Yeah your right.
    Makes me regret this trailer now.
    I wish I could do a new one but we've already filmed and uploaded the first video so its a bit late now.

Blog Entries

No sweat.
    And never regret anything.
    Move forward.
    Tim

Thanks for the support there.

I appreciate it.

Regards
    Rhys