Thread: Stuck with 320 x 240?

Question Stuck with 320 x 240?

I am just beginning to try my hand at editing. The starting point is some archive DV tapes from a JVC GR DVL100. I have put a fire wire card into my PC (dual core / 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM) and have succeeded in capturing the first of the tapes using MovieMaker. I was about to start picking out the bits I wanted when I realised that the resolution was only 320 x 240. I realise this is quite an old digital camcorder but surely it should be up to SD standard.

I would much appreciate a pointer or two here: have I missed something and should be seeing 640 x 480, or is my old JVC just worse than I thought?

When I get this sorted, i think I will be in the market for a new camera but I will do a bit more reading of the pros and cons of cards vs tape and SD vs HDV first.

Thanks
    Alf

Blog Entries

Should be 768 x 576. I suspect you have a setting wrong somewhere. All pal DV cameras regardless of pedigree will capture at this res.

I cant be any moer help as I dont use movie maker.
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-11-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Where did you realise 'that the resolution was only 320 x 240'? Is this during editing in WMM or when you finish your movie and want to export it? If it is during export then you need to change the settings to DV-AVI under More Settings and scroll down to you find the DV-AVI setting. Resolution is 72dpi (screen resolution), you are referring to frame size or the physical dimensions (width by height in pixels) of the frame.

Thanks to both for your replies. I am not sure what happened to my attempted reply earlier!

When I got Mark's comment, I went back to the settings in MovieMaker and found that the default 'best quality' setting was to blame. Goodness knows why it thinks 320x240 is best. As Nikosony suggested one of the alternatives is DV-AVI which gives the native resolution of the camera. Now I just have to find out why I get jumps and missing bits when I play it back - should be a doddle by comparison!

Thanks again
    Alf

Blog Entries

Onwards - the early stages of video editing are similar to birthing a child but you get less help.