Thread: Media Studio or Vegas or W.H.Y?

Default Media Studio or Vegas or W.H.Y?

Hi Hello.

I have been using Media Studio 7 for some time now and apart from the irritating cheap and nasty Capture program (and its many useless codecs) I get along with it fine. Videopaint has been very useful program and now seems unique ? I also felt cheated when I upgraded from MS 6 as nothing much had been done except some MPEG2 support. So I am reluctant now to move on to MS 8.

So you can see I am a little behind the times and the question I would like to ask is...
    What video editing program do you think I would find a familiar and comfortable replacement for MS 7 but has up to date codecs etc?

(with progs like Adobe Premiere being totally out of the question budget wise)

thanks

Blog Entries

Codecs are not part of an editing program - you need to load the codecs you use to allow the editor to chew on your media.

Hi
    thanks for replying.

yes

What I meant to say was I have bought a couple of codecs in the past and it didn't work very well with them.

the other thing with the love hate relationship with Media Studio was the plethora of useless or gimmicky effects, but on the other hand it has one or two that I adore like 'pan and zoom' 'vignette' and 'spotlight' . The audio editor is pretty lousy too and I tend to strip noisy tracks and clean them up in
    a separate sound program

but I am getting the vibes that Sony is the way to go, would that be so?
    I don't read manuals as a hobby (only when something goes wrong LOL) so as long as the learning curve from Media Studio to Movie Studio is painless I should be OK

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuncle View Post
    Hi
    I don't read manuals as a hobby (only when something goes wrong LOL) so as long as the learning curve from Media Studio to Movie Studio is painless I should be OK
    Think about how much time you've invested in learning Media Studio. Now strip out the time spent learning "general" editing stuff (eg what a cutaway is, what an overlay is, what J- and L-cuts are etc etc) and what's left is the sort of time you're going to have to spend learning Vegas (or any other package). You may find is quicker to learn than Media Studio, you may find it slower. Only time will tell.

And it's got to be said that (especially for someone coming from another editing app) the quickest way to learn will be to use the online tutorials, online help and read the manual.

This idea (thank you Steve Jobs and just about every marketing department since 1985) that software should be so easy you don't need a manual is all well and good if all you want to do is microwave a ready meal, but software/hardware capable of complex and flexible tasks takes a lot of learning.
    Tim

cheers Tim.

I see what your saying IE you put more in, you get more out.

Blog Entries

" This idea (thank you Steve Jobs and just about every marketing department since 1985) that software should be so easy you don't need a manual is all well and good if all you want to do is microwave a ready meal, but software/hardware capable of complex and flexible tasks takes a lot of learning. "

Seconded with bells on.