Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Video for Work

Default Training Video for Work

Here is the first three minutes of a video I produced for work - I guess you could say this is a video that I got paid for

this was actually my first attempt at a video and I find it pretty amateur when I look at it now, (compared to the new videos I am making for other training purposes). I pulled it out of my vault to run at a sales meeting I ran last week and it recieved a really great response so I thought I would share it with you all -- my true peers.

A couple of notes: The title shot is obviously not what I would use now - not a good font and doesn't really fit etc. Also this was shot entirely without a tripod - I have one now

let me know what you think - does it get you excited about coffee?

http://www.user-videos.co.uk/Coffee%20mini2.wmv
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated

link fixed - my apologies

Blog Entries

I think it needs to be more tongue in cheek. I'd go with the style of the last minute a lot ealier after a briefer introuduction to Gary (is it Gary - watched it over 30 mins ago and my memory clearly isn't up to scratch. I love the idea of rolling out gary when refering to the concept - did this get (m)any laughs?

In fact I find the whole concept a bit wierd - only in Canada, eh? Had to stop myself from saying America then :twisted:

But I think you should go back and edit for a different audience for pure comedy value. "Teaching people how to make instant coffee".

Nice.

The purpose was to show what we are doing in our market - you walk into one of my stores Monday morning and a 'Garry" greets you and makes you coffee - if you are adventurous he makes a sample for you of something new and tasty. This is in a convenience store where people are used to making thier own

Customers love it - I had to avoid my silly tendencies when producing this for the brass to approve. You are right though - boring training videos and presentations need more laughs - I will try to see how a goofier one goes over for my next one I make - I will go for Cleese-esque and see what happens

From a business perspective what is wierd about the concept?

Blog Entries

It assumes your customers

a) don't mind being interupted at which is essentially a self service station (if they wanted to be served, they'd go to starbucks?). At times I prefer minimum contact when purchasing something. Being asked, "do you need any help" is perhaps the most annoying question ever concieved. If I wanted help, I'd say, "excuse me, could I have some assistance". But then I wouldn't find an assistant if I actually wanted one now, would I

b) do not know how to make coffee

The video suggests people are unaware that the syrups are free. However, Gary didn't address this. Indeed, I'd think he was trying to load me up with syrups to up his commisssion. Ok, I know he's not on commission, but why not put up a sign next to the syrups saying:

"FREE"

That might help

Gary also looked a bit scary. He kind of pounced on the customer. He may not return for fear of Gary pouring him a strawbery latte. (He doesn't like strawbury and hates lattes). But Gary didn't ask him that now, did he? Perhaps it would have been better for him to say:

"may I make a suggestion? Perhaps you'd like to combine x, with y and top up with z. Be adventurous, after all, any y or z is complimentary. I'll tell you what, I'll make my special, and you see if you like it".

Or you could get a sign to replace Gary.

It's a bit hard to pass comment and make suggestions when you say that you find it pretty amateur anyway

I think in this case the usage of a tripod would have made it less interesting anywya. The sound is a bit inconsistent, but it's a great presentation generally speaking.

For your first attempt at a video that was very good. However, I guess now you look back and see all the areas where you have improved, and that's good too.

I've seen less extravagent desserts than the "coffee" Garry produced. To be honest if someone chucked chocolate, syrup, vanilla, tomatoes, three pound of freshly cut parsley and an egg in my coffee I think I would probaby pour it over their heads. ESPECIALLY on a Monday

Anyway, Dave, thanks for sharing. Nice to see what your first real video attempt looked like. I should perhaps dig mine out.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

As always the comments are awsome and the criticism is what I post here for.

Marc - you are exactly right - it does assume a customer - later in the training video it goes over the exact approach to the customer - the first five minutes was a sort of preview for the brass

later we discuss - a) be there at the coffee island - clean, make it fresh!!!! don't go missing somewhere else in the store during this time b) look for the people that pause at the additional toys and then move on - grab them and say "if you have a minute can I show you my favorite coffee? If you don't like it - we will chuck it out and I will buy you, your favorite c) If Marc Peters comes in the store stay the hell away from him - he may be a terrorist but for sure he is extremely afraid of coffee hosts - and clowns (boy I hope Marc is laughing as he reads this)

etc etc - you are right though I would consider myself a customer service expert in my line of work and you need to know how to train who to speak to, who to plus sell and who to not talk to in case they bite

Marc is exactly right (wait for it) if you wanted a special coffee made for you, you would go to Starbucks (sarcasm coming) --- and pay five dollars for it at least, and wait in a large line up (almost here...)------ and hey ..... wait a minute, what if I could give the customers all the flavor and service for 1/3 the price and get you in and out in two minutes (there it is!) - that is where this idea came from - once I knew we really could make all the fancies with the extras we put on the counter I thought I would try to get people over thier fear to try.

I have 50 stores doing this now - I hope it pays off and your fears Marc aren't how everyone feels (or I am in real trouble)! So far so good YTD I have the biggest increase in the country - knock wood

NOTE: Now that I have re-read your comments Marc the commision comment is a very good point - we need to ask them in advance - "did you know that you pay for the cup - no matter what you put in it, it is all the same price" - then worry about sampling the special of the day - good point Marc thanks! - Also the "may I make a suggestion" approach is what I want - but I need to make sure it is really happening that way - thanks again

FishCake: interesting that you think the tripod would have been counter productive - will bear this in mind in future

LJR: Thanks - I will lump you in Marc's category - I better approach this with caution - tomatoe and egg coffee - now there's a retchid idea - I will get right on it!

Blog Entries

and clowns (boy I hope Marc is laughing as he reads this)
    My mum tells me I used to cry at clowns. My what a happy child I must have been!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast