Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Editing Software used for movies?

Default Video Editing Software used for movies?

Sorry if I've posted this on the wrong forum. Couldn't find a better category for this question.

Anyways, what software is common used for big movies? I'd really like to know. Just like we all know photoshop is the most used photo editing software, there isn't a real video editing software that pops out to be most used.

Final Cut Pro is used. There wouldn't be just one piece of software used, depending on the type of movie being 'edited' you could have lots of software being used.

Blog Entries

Big fat avid racks are popular too but more and more editing is going smaller and lighter so fcp vegas and premier are also used more and more.

Personally I lothe fcp - everything seems to be a fiddle. You cant even mix media without hoop jumping.

Odd question too - why do you ask ? The skill in editing is not vested in the editing app - no software is ' better ' - editors are.

When I was doing my research to buy a video editor for myself, I remember reading that --generally-- FCP is used for most feature Hollywood films and Vegas Pro is used for most music videos and TV commercials.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
    When I was doing my research to buy a video editor for myself, I remember reading that --generally-- FCP is used for most feature Hollywood films and Vegas Pro is used for most music videos and TV commercials.
    So what? - and it isnt even true probably - just idle internet gossip.

My vegas project settings have defaults for spoof, you tube skater vid, pron highlight edit, adverts and oscar winner - so dont worry -

An editor is a tool - the editor with the pulse is the creative. You dont have to write with a feather to create iambic pentameter, Shakespere only had feathers.

Iambic pentameter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A good writer can use a feather or a pen and it wont make any difference to the result. A good writer can use anything to write with and a competant editor can swap apps in a jiffy - learning a new editor is a cinch, it's the creative part of editing that is the hard bit.
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-14-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolay View Post
    I'm used VideoCharge Studio!
    I can't help noticing that every one of your posts is about VideoCharge studio...

If you want to advertise your product, at least be honest about it:

Pimp the Link - Video Editing Forums: Digital Director

Blog Entries

^^^^ lols.

Well, from my personal experiences as an editor and director. As well as from the PC Magazines Editorial Rating in video editing software. The best software is Cyberlink PoweDirector. It may not be the one most Hollywood directors use, but it has the highest rating of all the software. It even allows you to be able to convert 2d formatted movies into 3d formatted movies with just one click of your mouse.

No software is used. Burners, machines, rollers and razor blades to cut the film! Just kidding!

In my experience I've seen everything and anything used in large productions. It's not what you have but it's how you use it.

Final Cut Pro 7
    Avid
    Premiere Pro
    Sony Vegas Pro
    Smoke
    Neo4K
    Motion
    After Effects
    Compressor

There are others but these are the most common. I also list the version on Final Cut because the newest version is consumer grade, not professional anymore. Apple took away a lot of the control you had before.

Quote Originally Posted by brayrow View Post
    Well, from my personal experiences as an editor and director. As well as from the PC Magazines Editorial Rating in video editing software. The best software is Cyberlink PoweDirector. It may not be the one most Hollywood directors use, but it has the highest rating of all the software. It even allows you to be able to convert 2d formatted movies into 3d formatted movies with just one click of your mouse.
    Well, the ratings of PC Magazine have been a mystery for quite some time, the same goes for several "blogging reviews". One wonders how extensively the reviewers actually use PowerDirector, and for how long.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast