Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying advice - PMW EX3

Default Buying advice - PMW EX3

Hi everyone, Iím new to these forums and was hoping this would be the place to ask about semi pro equipment. This seems like a forum I could get used to with lot of buzzing questions and advice

Anyway - I am a film student and have been for 4 years. Itís only recently, in the last year or so, I feel my skills warrant an upgrade from handy cam to semi pro with full manual controls. I've had a look around and there have been many camcorders that have tickled my tastebuds, mainly the PMW - EX series.

To cut to the chase I was really interested in buying the EX1 only to find in the past few weeks Sony has announced a price rise bringing the EX1 to around £4200... I called up a Sony retailer and they told me they have no more EX1's at the original price; however they do have an EX3 at £4,700. Although expensive it still is almost £1000 less than the RRP.

My question is; am I running before I can walk here and buying something which I will not need or is it a wise buying decision? Bare in mind that when the old stock of EX3's are gone they will retail again around £5,500.

In my opinion if I buy this now and decide in two years to sell the EX3 the second hand price will almost be the same as what I bought it for.

I have many many questions but it could take a long time and I canít help feel people will stop reading...

Thanks for checking out my thread and any responses welcome!

Blog Entries

Prosumer camcorders sell like computers. They are constantly being upgraded and constantly increasing in price. So, in a few months you'll be in exactly the same situation, just a bit older. You could wait a few months before buying a camcorder but the result is a few months not making movies. The only thing I would hold back on is buying memory cards, they will fall in price. Only buy the amount you need now.

If you buy a PMW EX3 and you are a serious videomaker, you will grow into it. Whatever you do, it will be "current" for a couple of years at least, probably longer. It is a superb bit of kit and I wish I owned one! my suggestion is: If you can afford it, get it.

As for "Do I need it?" Well, my kit room is full of gear I don't "need" but I find that, if you've got it, you use it. If you have a decent camcorder, you'll go and video stuff. If you don't have a camcorder it's a lot of effort to hire kit for that short "experiment".

Quote Originally Posted by Peteyb View Post
    . In my opinion if I buy this now and decide in two years to sell the EX3 the second hand price will almost be the same as what I bought it for.
    Ahhhh... No. That's the bad news. Within six months it'll have lost 25% of its value and will continue slowly downhill. In two years it'll be worth about half of what you paid for it. Just like a car. However, in the meantime you'll have made videos, learnt a lot and (possibly) even made a few quid. More important you'll have gained a lot of practical experience. Unlike a work of art, camcorders aren't an investment for the future.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 01-10-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Thank you for your reply Its nice to have a warm response, some people in forums can be so cold when responding to purchasing questions!

I have many ideas for things to film and in particular want to travel round Europe this summer for a month of filming so donít think I could wait!

Kind of a reality shock how much it will go down in value but when I think about it I will easily be using this every week so cheaper than hiring thatís for sure.

Thanks again for your reply, has helped my decision greatly

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    The only thing I would hold back on is buying memory cards, they will fall in price. Only buy the amount you need now.
    Why wait, you can get 16gb cards for £25 for use in the EX1 and EX3.

Paul.

Blog Entries

The smart money is buying pro SD DV cameras. Like me.

None of this pro sumer fakery - get a real camera. I like owning a camera that i can use as a weapon if needed.

My JVC was £1600 - a year old was £7000 new I think. Then you can wait for real professional HD cameras to get to the place where you can afford then and in the mean time can learn to use a real camera.

I am also yet to see a pro sumer camera that has a view finder that is more than a toy and flip out screens are for mooks - lols.

But you wouldnt want to take the beast on a EU road trip.

And you can spend the rest on camera support and lights and decnt mics and crack and hoes.
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-11-2009 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I am also yet to see a pro sumer camera that has a view finder that is more than a toy and flip out screens are for mooks - lols.

You should have a look in an EX3 screen/viewfinder or better still, my EX1 flip out screen with a hood loupe pro attached, imagine a viewfinder in HD and you'll get the idea.

Paul.

Blog Entries

That aint a proper finder on the ex1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    That aint a proper finder on the ex1.

Straight out of the box i agree, it's a standard viewfinder on the rear and one of the best flip out screens you'll see on the side, but when you attach a hood loupe pro onto the screen, it converts that excellent screen into a viewfinder.

Next time you come to mine i'll show you, you'll be impressed.

Paul.

Blog Entries

Yea - it is the best flip out I have seen but a screen is not a viewfinder and a fish is not an onion.

I got my DV tatoo yesterday - how is your ' EX1 RUles ' tat healing ?

I've had a drastic re-think. Here we go.

So listened to what Mark W said and you've got a damn good point. The money I have left from buying a cheaper camera I can use towards lighting etc Oh and crack hoes - I JOKE

The Canon XL2, although slightly out dated does feel nice to use, (briefly tried out the handling before) not a bad picture too and most importantly costs £1500 of ebay giving me almost 3 grand to play with. Although I could name 101 reasons why HD is useful to me as well as having the choice to crank the frame rate I donít think I can justify the spend without allowing for microphones, lighting, filming budget and webspace.

Anyone tried out the XL2?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast