Thread: Movie studio 8 platinum

1. Default Movie studio 8 platinum

Hi. I just got this program but am not happy with it. For now I'm using it mainly for cutting a video with music so it fits the short version of the song I have perfectly. But it's very hard to cut precisely(I want an error less than a milisecond), and about a second before the cut section the video becomes messed up(random color blocks appear) Lastly what the heck is wrong with compression? It does worse at keeping the size low and quality same than virtualdub mod.(vdmod kept the size at 10mb after compression but movie studio's result was like 400mb) I'm an absolute noob, so I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

Blog Entries

The smallest time step in a project will be one frame. Say 25 frames per sec, so that is 1/24 or 0.04 sec or 40 milllseconds.

I cant imagine why you want to go to 1 msec accuracy.

As for the ramdom blocks of clour - sounds to me like you are editing found video - like a dvix - this happens.

As for file size - can be any size you want. But smaller will look worse.

You have to take some time to learn more about compression. Audio compression is important too.

VirtualDub (Mod) is a great video editing app. It uses the Xvid codec particularily well. If you got a decent clip with audio @ 10 mgb, you probably used Xvid, which 10 mgb sounds a little low actually.

Renedering mpg2 for a music video 3 mins. or so in duration will result in somewhere in the 400 mgb range. And that depends on audio compression. Uncompressed audio can take up a huge chunk.

I would suggest that if you feel you're getting the same quality video from 400 mgb in Vegas as you do from 10 mgb in VirtualDub, then either check your audio settings or burn both to a disk and watch them on a TV screen. If you are watching your Xvid on your computer screen, you may not be seeing the real difference.

If you feel yo are getting the same video quality then look at your audio compressions.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    The smallest time step in a project will be one frame. Say 25 frames per sec, so that is 1/24 or 0.04 sec or 40 milllseconds.
    I don't think that's accurate, Mark. Turn off "Quantize to frame", stretch the timeline and you can move the video around i smaller increments. I've no idea how Vegas handles this when shifing it back to the PAL standard of 25fps so I steer well clear of pulling any stunts like that.
    BUT it is very useful the "other way". I'll often shift an audio track much less than a fram left or right to line up beats with the video.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Thanks Tim - I didnt know that. I have never had recourse to want to move things at less than one frame accuracy.