Thread: Adding "Magic"

Default Adding "Magic"

Me and a few friends are planning on making a video this spring/summer. They are in college and there business might be sponsoring, so we will have some money to throw around.

What i can't find online is how to add spells or magic to a scene. If a character throws his hand up i need to be able to create a bolt of fire or ice, or lightning bolts. My father said this might be called super imposing, but i still cannot find anything useful online to help me learn about this. I have iMovie HD on a mac and also Movie Maker (which i don't really like) on my laptop i can use. Can either of these make good spells and magic where i need them to?

And if not, what is a good movie editor that can?

Thanks in advance

I would suggest you try something like this if you have money to throw around.

Particle Illusion SE (Not Free costs $99)

wondertouch: home of particleIllusion

particleIllusion SE 2.0.4 30-day trial (Windows)

The trial version of particleIllusion SE for Windows is fully-functional for 30 days and has no limitations (no watermarks for instance). There may be a more up to date version out now as I've had that info on my computer for a while but give it a look and I think you'll be impressed.

perfect! i never thought of searching the word illusion. Thanks very much

and to clarify. Superimposing or compositting is the term for laying one piece of video on top of another i.e, placing an explosion on top of some car crash footage. Actually making that explosion as an animation, which is more what you need, is the job for a particle emmitter. Plenty about. A great generic one is particl;eIllusion as already stated. I've been using it for years. It abosutley will be able to help you.

SFX software aside don't neglect the filming aspect, when you shoot for special effects, remember to get your actor/actors to react to what is happening. Don't have them standing there with blank expressions on their faces. Storyboard or do mock ups on your computer so they have a visual reference. Also worth considering is if you are using lightning or explosions is to use real lighting on set to give the sfx more realism. And finally don't forget the soundtrack.

Blog Entries

I am glad it's not my money....
    what you want to do is very hard to do well - imovie to sfx compositing is a hell of a leap.