Thread: Video capture problem!

Default Video capture problem!

In July, I captured video from my Canon MV20 digital camera via 1394 FireWire connection. I used both Windows Movie Maker and Pinnacle Studio7 creating both .wmv and .avi files and all worked OK.

I am now unable to repeat the exercise. If I try to create .wmv (highest quality) I only get a still, but very jumbled image (I'm not sure whether the correct term is 'pixelated'!) in the preview box and the video capture does not start. Trying a .avi file, the video capture does start, and the preview box shows movement but the image is again very distorted.

Not sure whether it is relevant or not but I have successfully captured video using webcam via USB port using Windows Movie Maker wizard so sifware seems OK. Also, I can control the camera from the PC so cable and connections would seem OK!!

Help!!

I'm posting an update to my original cry for help (none received!)

I have spent 20-30 hours trying to resolve this problem, talking to Evesham (my computer supplier) and Microsoft (in UK and Canada) and local PC shops etc. Eventually, I was persuaded to reformat my machine and reload Windows XP. I immediately tried capturing video using Windows Movie Maker1 which is automatically loaded as part of XP. Lo and behold, it worked fine.

I then loaded Service Pack2 for XP which, amongst other things, automatically upgrades Windows Movie Maker to version2.......and I get exactly the same problem as before (see below). Microsoft can't come with a suitable answer so my only course of action seems to be to uninstall SP2. Unless anybody has a better idea!

I have just read a posting dated 7/11/2004 which refers to SP2 screwing up video drivers and guess this might be the same issue. I'll watch out for updates there as well.

See "Video capturing freezes at first frame" for resolution. It worked for me too!