Thread: Am Confused Big Time !!

Unhappy Am Confused Big Time !!

hi, i am a newbie film maker. have made some music videos on some really bad cameras before. i am going to buy a new camera for myself to shoot good quality video. I searched a lot for the camcorders and finally decided to buy Sony sr12. I really liked the Sony picture quality and its design.

But then came a problem, Sony sr12 records video at 60i. so many people on different forums are saying that 60i video is not cinematic and it looks too real for film making purposes. i also came across different techniques of converting 60i to 24p. But that made me more confused what to do. should i go with the 60i Sony sr12 or should i look out for something else.

I will be shooting a lot of action and fast pace scenes and also some slow motion too. Please help me out. i am running out of time for my next video to be made for a video competition.

Blog Entries

" so many people on different forums are saying that 60i video is not cinematic and it looks too real for film making purposes. "

Buy your camera - those people are film school tossers talking complete wank.

25 ish fps ended up de facto for film cos that was the best that could be reliably managed technially with film. Cinema is on the edge of a 50 fps revoloution because it realeases originators from some filming restrictions with 24ish p ( panning and fast motion issues ).

25ish interlaced for tv use avoids some of those progressive problems.

Saying video looks too real is also film wank - film detail spanks any video format moratals can afford.

I studied for a MA in doc film for a year and there was never any whisper of video being ' wrong ' . Who are these fools ?

And if you must have deinteralced video - just deinteralce it in software .
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-09-2009 at 01:14 AM.