Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rpm

Default Rpm

Made for a 1 minute film competition. Our main aim was to really get across the feeling of speed, keeping everything snappy. Let me know what you guys think.

YouTube - RPM

Cheers,

Jim.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

I understand the need for the rushed voice (and it must have taken some doing to speak so quickly) but I found it difficult to follow exactly what was being said. Especially the first sentence - I restarted immediately after it which, of course, you don't normally get to do as a competition judge!
    I suspect this would be even more difficult to understand for peole speaking other versions of English. Fortunately I don't think this detracted too much (though a clearer v/o would certainly add to the film).

Aside from that, I thought the idea and execution was excellent. The X-Ray vision shots were absolutely superb (how did you do that - an awful lot of patience is my guess). And the distraction - well, I've certainly been there, many times.

Good Luck in the comp. Coincidentally our club is having its first One Minute comp tomorrow evening (I've not entered, but I might nick your idea and use it next year!)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I understand the need for the rushed voice (and it must have taken some doing to speak so quickly) but I found it difficult to follow exactly what was being said. Especially the first sentence - I restarted immediately after it which, of course, you don't normally get to do as a competition judge!
    Interestingly, I watched this without sound at work today. Worked really well to give a sense of speed, and I certainly didn't see anything wrong. Watching it with sound takes something away from the video, and I don't think the VO works - goes to show that visuals are only part of 'video'.

Did I see a made in 2003 at the end of the video??

Yeah it is quite old now (it didn't get shortlisted for the comp but at least it was fun to make!). I agree with the points raised against the voice over. In retrospect it would have been better to work on the script so that the dialogue did not feel so rushed and also find an actual voice over artist who would have brought more clarity to the narration.

The x-ray shot were achieved with an old version of Truespace (3d modeling software) that I got free off of the front of a computer magazine at the time.

I have been thinking of making another 60 second film becuase there seems to be loads of competitions for them at the moment. I just find it tough working to that time limit. 5 mins I can do. 60 sec's I find tough. But I guess that is the point!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

nice video, it sends a strong message about speeding

good luck in the comp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rrichiee View Post
    ...good luck in the comp
    I'm sure he said it didn't make it to the comp....

I feel the same way about the v/o. Speedy (like the car) and almost unintelligable in places. Not much cadence in the voice either.... all sort of monotone. Shame, because as Marc says, the video alone is pretty good.

Thanks for the response Andy, and of course you are right. I think it highlights how important sound is in a film. You can have the best visuals in the world fall flat on its face because of a bad soundtrack. This is the reason it didn't get too far at competition level. I am happy with the visuals though (especially the greenscreened cat!).
    Last edited by Fingercuff; 01-09-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: sppeling mistaike

Really like that.

Agree with what everyone else said about the sound - v/o actually sounds kinda sleepy despite the pace of delivery. At the very least it needs a slight pause before he starts talking I think.

I thought the visuals worked brilliantly though. Blown away by the effects you've put in there, must have taken ages.

The only bit that niggled me visually was the bit where the guys shirt came off. It looked ace and everything, but it seemed like the car was going the wrong way in the shot directly before. Car goes left to right, and then the shirt flies off to the left. It seems a bit churlish to mention it since everything else works so well (and it's possible I'm just confused as to which side of the road he's meant to be on) but I wonder if it might work better if you flipped the side-on car shot?

Really impressive overall though - nice work.

I really enjoyed that. Brief and to the point. The imagination of the imagery was better than the voiceover, which was a touch too hurried.

I watched this impressive piece some time ago on your channel, its great.

It does remind me of the anti drink / speeding TVC's they had running where I live a few years ago, in fact there are many identical themes.

Of interest they moved away from this type of ad campaign to one where passers by would wave their little fingers (drooped over) all shot in slow motion, it had a huge effect, sometimes the message has much more power if it is aimed at the heart of manhood.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast