Thread: Encoders

Default Encoders

I do some HD video editing and have a few questions.

First, I use MEP14+ for editing. I like the way it works and its pretty simple to use. We run an Canon XHA1 HD camera and shoot at 1920x1080. After I edit the files, I create a dvd, then an MPG for upload to Vimeo. Vimeo has a max file size of 1GB. The MPG, if I encode at good quality is 2GB, so I have to degrade the quality quite a bit to get it under the 1 GB size.

I am not much of a video expert, I am a sound guy. So, my question is this: If the hollywood studios can put 2 or 3 versions of a full length movie on 1 dvd, plus several out takes, directors comments, etc, and they are all in really good quality, why can I not encode in good quality to smaller files. One of my 40 minute movies takes up 2/3's of a dvd thru the MEP software. What kind of encoders do they use? What are some really good quality small file size encoders out there?

Thanks

Blog Entries

When you upload to a net streaming the site the sites servers will reencode your dvd to a much lower bandwidth, a lower bit rate, so it can stream.

You tube so called HD is about 2 mbit, I suspect vimeo is silmilar.

The is little to be gained in uploading files that are hugely greater in bandwidth than the recompressed stream.

I suggest you render to a more compressed format. See the you tube sticky for details on the results of my investigations ane reccomendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_FL View Post
    I do some HD video editing and have a few questions.

If the hollywood studios can put 2 or 3 versions of a full length movie on 1 dvd, plus several out takes, directors comments, etc, and they are all in really good quality, why can I not encode in good quality to smaller files. One of my 40 minute movies takes up 2/3's of a dvd thru the MEP software. What kind of encoders do they use? What are some really good quality small file size encoders out there?

Thanks
    Hollywood films use dvd9 disks for a start (double "normal" capacity) and they only have the footage on once. Scripts are written on the DVD to tell the DVD player what soundtrack to use from a possible selection (language/commentary etc), and which clips to link to, and when, if alternating to a "director's cut".

Also there are a couple of other filters added by the encoder at the final stages such as sharpening and de-noising which helps reduce file size and improve the look of the video.