Thread: Aspect Ratio for the total "n00b"

1. Default Aspect Ratio for the total "n00b"

"n00b" or "boob"? You decide.

Hi folks!

I just finished editing my wedding video with my 16:9 widescreen in mind. Before I burned it for the relatives I decided to check it on my 4:3 television but it does not letterbox.

I think that's the phrase I'm looking for - when the black bars appear top & bottom?

I used Sony Vegas for editing and DVD Architect for menus and creation.

Is there any way to "force" the video to play letterbox for all 4:3's, or must I create a separate menu to allow the viewer to choose aspect ratio?

Without the bars, the film just looks nasty.

TIA,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by linksinachain View Post
    "n00b" or "boob"? You decide.

Hi folks!

I just finished editing my wedding video with my 16:9 widescreen in mind. Before I burned it for the relatives I decided to check it on my 4:3 television but it does not letterbox.

I think that's the phrase I'm looking for - when the black bars appear top & bottom?

I used Sony Vegas for editing and DVD Architect for menus and creation.

Is there any way to "force" the video to play letterbox for all 4:3's, or must I create a separate menu to allow the viewer to choose aspect ratio?

Without the bars, the film just looks nasty.

TIA,
    Craig
    if you shot widescreen footage thenyou should have used a widescreen template/preset when you designed the DVD.

Once you do that, how it look son the TV is a setting onthe DVD player. Simple as that!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    how it looks on the TV is a setting on the DVD player.
    I think you'll find that it's a setting on the TV, not the DVD.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flip1943 View Post
    I think you'll find that it's a setting on the TV, not the DVD.
    It can be the TV, the DVD player or both. Almost without exception, DVD players have the option to change aspect ratios. However, it's really only widescreen TVs that have the option to change the picture format.

Bearing in mind that the standard setting on a widesreen TV is widescreen, it's not often that this setting is changed on the TV. So I think Alan's assumption was that this question really relates to 4:3 sets. In this case, it's the DVD player that will help control the output.

As an example the PS2 didn't handle some widescreen DVD very well, and had no setting to control this manually. It ended up showing some DVDs squished up on a 4:3 screen.

There's a setting in most all DVD players and in some TV's called "Pan and Scan." What this does, is that it crops the left and right off of widescreen DVDs. I set my grandmother's TV and DVD player up this way because she hates letterboxing. Most newer TVs and DVD players will letterbox by default; but perhaps yours does not. You should check the Setup menu of the player or TV itself, and that's where you should find it.

~John